Author Topic: 4.2 config setup  (Read 1231 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
4.2 config setup
« on: May 09, 2020, 07:58:53 PM »
FYI, I think the config copying from a previous version when 4.2 is installed is broken. There is the previous thread on pad enter, and today I noticed that shift-cursor up/down was selecting characters whereas I've always had it set to line. Checking the config I see it's set to 'always chars' whereas in 4.1 (from where this config was copied) it is 'line or chars'.

Now, I find my editor windows wrong too. Instead of one file per window is adding another file tab every time I select another file. This is doubly annoying because I've had it like this for so many years I have no idea where the setting is to put it back! I've searched for 'window' but nothing seems relevant.

And, presuming I spend another half hour finding the option that sorts this out, at the back of my mind I am thinking what else has been changed that I never change and will annoy me whilst wasting my time putting right.

Can I export my config from 4.1 and import to 4.2 and have it just work, or is there something that needs converting?

Edit: 'Filles per window'. Found it. And it is set to 'On file per window'. So why is it allowing many? I toggled it to many and back to one, restarting SE each time, but it still allows many files per window.

Sorry, can't put up with this. Reverting to 4.1 :(

Edit2: Duh! It's the tabs, not files per window, so 'multiple files share window' is the right setting, so it's how to stop another tab showing  up. Sorry for the confusion of what option I am dealing with but, as I said, this has been working this way for so long I rarely need to venture into the options dialogs.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:17:13 PM by dunkers »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: 4.2 config setup
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 11:56:17 PM »
If you still have your 24.0.1 config directory, you can delete your 24.0.2 config directory and run 24.0.2 to upgrade from your 24.0.1 config. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

Once you already have a 24.0.2 config directory, SlickEdit will not do any config upgrading from 24.0.1.

If upgrading from 24.0.1 isn't working, you can export/import your settings from 24.0.1 (Tools>Options>Export/Import Options). This has the advantage that you don't have to delete your 24.0.2 config first. It's also a pretty good way to backup your settings and allows you to just import select settings.

Having praised the export/import approach, I usually just upgrade my config.

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 12:09:20 AM »
OK! Importing an exported 24.1 config got the buffers/windows thing sorted (but where is that configured?). On completion of import it said SE would have to restart but didn't actually restart it (usually it does) and the status bar showed a message about a string error. Maybe that might indicate why I had problems before.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 12:16:16 AM »
It doesn't automatically restart. It exits and requires you to start SlickEdit however you did in the first place. At some point, an automatic restart should be added.

I got a string not found error too. I'll look into that. It doesn't look like any failure occurred. Import errors go in the Message List tool window.

dunkers

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 12:31:59 AM »
I am sure 24.1 restarted itself when I imported a config yesterday. Maybe it just crashed :)

Thanks for persevering with this, Clark.