Author Topic: Find in Files not working  (Read 10934 times)

Ernie

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Find in Files not working
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:44:35 PM »
Find in Files does not seem to work unless if under "Look in" I select "<Current Buffer>" or "<All Buffers>".  When I set it to "<Project>", "<Workspace>", or some directory, it displays:

"Find all "if", "<Workspace>", "*.c;*.h;*.C;*.tcc;*.cc;*.hh;*.cp;*.hp;*.cpp;*.hpp;*.hxx;*.cxx;*.inl;*.xpm"

It then just sits there indefinitely until I click Stop.  Then it says:

"Search terminated
No files were found to look in."

The files I'm attempting to search are cpp and hpp files.  I didn't check any of the check boxes in the find window.  It used to work.  Does anyone know what's wrong?

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
Re: Find in Files not working
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 01:05:20 PM »
I'm not sure from just the information you have given.  You can contact technical support support@slickedit.com if you'd like a start a case there.  I do have several questions that would help out.

What version number and what platform did this occur on?  Does it make any difference if you specify Foreground search in the options?  How large is the workspace, how many projects are in the workspace and are do any of the project make use of wildcard entries?  How many files/directories would you estimate there are in the projects, and are any of the files on network file system?  Are you using a Single-User license or are you using a Concurrent User License (FlexNet)?

witness9

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 02:04:24 PM »
I've had similar results when I had inadvertently included a space after a semicolon in the file extention list.

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 02:21:38 PM »
Well that is interesting, I'll definitely file a defect report.  But I do not think that is the case in the OP,  there are no spaces in the file spec in the Search Results header message.   I just tested that case, and it didn't cause any sort of spin-lock or indefinite hang, it just simply ignored the file spec that had the space around it during the search,  I'll definitely have a look into that issue.

witness9

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »
<:-(
Please forgive me.  I don't get an indefinite hang; just the 'no file to look in' part.  I'm sorry I clouded the issue.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 02:12:50 PM »
Hello all,

This is a known problem, especially on newer distros such as FC6, where a recent version of fontconfig library is used.  You can do the following as a temporary workaround:

As root, open the fontconfig configuration file located at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, and find two cachedir elements near the top of the file.  Either comment them out or delete them, and save the file.  You should be back in business after this change.

Best,
SlickEdit Support

bob.sather

• New Community Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »
I have the same problem, but on a Windows distribution.  If I cut down the length of the File Types list, the problem goes away. 
Find In Files succeeds with this list of file types:

*.c;*.h;*.tcc;*.cc;*.hh;*.cp;*.hp;*.cpp;*.hpp;*.hxx;*.cxx;*.inl;*.xpm;*.tc,*.htm,*.html

It fails with this list of file types:

*.html,*.c;*.h;*.tcc;*.cc;*.hh;*.cp;*.hp;*.cpp;*.hpp;*.hxx;*.cxx;*.inl;*.xpm;*.tc,*.htm,*.html

There are no imbedded spaces in the lists.  The only difference is that the 'bad' list has an additional *.html at the beginning of the line.  With the 'bad' list, it finds the string in the *.h files, but ignores the *.c files.

I just noticed that the lists use both comma and semicolon as separators.  Which is correct?

Is there a solution on Windows, similar to the solution you gave for Unix distributions?  My SlickEdit is version 11.0.2 .

Bob Sather
LloydsTSB Bank, London

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »
You mixed SEMICOLONs and COMMAs. You should stick to SEMICOLONs when specifiying this list.

HS2

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »
Good catch hs2.  Yet ANOTHER hp!

dacroon

• New Community Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 02:46:19 PM »
re: This is a known problem, especially on newer distros such as FC6, where a recent version of fontconfig library is used.  You can do the following as a temporary workaround:
As root, open the fontconfig configuration file located at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, and find two cachedir elements near the top of the file.  Either comment them out or delete them, and save the file.  You should be back in business after this change.

+++

Thank you for providing an easy work around as this was a major problem for me when evaluating the trial version. 

BTW before I applied the fix some cachedir error messages were displaying to x-term.

SlickEdit Version 12.0.2.0

Serial number: FVLX0000
Licensed number of users: Single user

Build Date: July 12, 2007
Emulation: SlickEdit (text mode edition)

OS Version: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5 (Tikanga)
Kernel Level: 2.6.18-8.1.6.el5
Build Version: #1 SMP Fri Jun 1 18:52:11 EDT 2007
X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation