Author Topic: SE2019 24.0.2 Pro MAC network file share project setup issue  (Read 1771 times)

rajkej

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
I've recently updated to SE 24.0.2 with hotfix 5. Now I'm having a periodic issue with setting up a project and having SE scan for files on a network NFS file share. I did not have these issues until updating to 24.0.2. I am experiencing these problems on two different computers but both using the same file share.

I go to project properties, click on 'add tree' and use '*.c;*.cpp;*.h' for source files and 'build/;.svn/' for exclude, click on Recursive and then click on OK, the progam will add 10 or 40 or so files and then bail out. I have about 4,000 files in this workspace. It seems to be getting something to stop it but it isn't reporting any errors. If I go to my console and 'ls -R' the workspace then try adding files again, things work fine within SE.

I looked at /var/log/system.log and see the following errors somewhat close to the time I had an issue but I didn't correlate these directly with the issue.

Any suggestions on how to help track down this issue? I'm not having other network file share issues at all so I'm suspecting its SE.

NOTE: The files below *do* exist in my system at the given paths. Not sure how they wouldn't be found by something..

May 18 13:51:13 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.vs.6625): Failed to bootstrap path: path = /Applications/SlickEditPro2019.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui, error = 2: No such file or directory
May 18 13:51:13 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.vs.6625): Failed to bootstrap path: path = /Applications/SlickEditPro2019.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtSvg.framework/Versions/4/QtSvg, error = 2: No such file or directory
May 18 13:51:13 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.vs.6625): Failed to bootstrap path: path = /Applications/SlickEditPro2019.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore, error = 2: No such file or directory
May 18 13:51:13 iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.vs.6625): Failed to bootstrap path: path = /Applications/SlickEditPro2019.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtXml.framework/Versions/4/QtXml, error = 2: No such file or directory

SlickEdit Pro 2019 (v24.0.2.0)

Serial number: xx
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: /Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/24/slickedit.lic

Build Date: April 1, 2020   (State file: May 6, 2020)
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 10.15.4
Processor Architecture: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 64 bit (8 cores)

Memory: 67% Load, 11042MB/16384MB Virtual
Shell Information: /Applications/SlickEditPro2019.app/Contents/MacOS/secsh -i
Screen Size: 2560 x 1440

Project Type: Cpp
Language: .cpp (C/C++)
Encoding: ACP (30001)

Installation Directory: /Applications/SlickEditPro2019.app/Contents/
Configuration Directory: /Users/xx/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/24.0.2/
Migrated from: /Users/xx/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/24.0.1/
Spill File: /tmp/$slk.xx.1291

Hotfixes:
/Users/xx/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/24.0.2/hotfixes/hotfix_se2402_5_cumulative.zip (Revision: 5)

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: SE2019 24.0.2 Pro MAC network file share project setup issue
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 11:25:06 PM »
I'm wondering if the file iteration timeout is set too low.  That could cause an incomplete file list to be built, and I think it was changed somewhere in the 24.0.x timeframe.  I think there would be an error message in the status area, but there can be several messages that go to the status area when adding files to a project.

To change the timeout, go to the SlickEdit command line, and type in "set-var def_fileio_timeout 1000".   And see if you have the same problem adding new projects, or refreshing a wildcard projects with files out on the network share in the future.

rajkej

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 12:15:50 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll run a few setups with that change. One question.. When I make the set-var change, does it ever reset itself? For instance if I run set-var and then close and restart SE do I need to set-var again?

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 01:34:21 PM »
It will be saved across sessions and upgrades.  Once the config is saved, or you exit the editor, it will be in your user.cfg.xml in the configuration directory.

The default behavior for nearly all of the def vars is to be saved, with just a few exceptions that reset on editor startup.  Those exceptions mostly for debug logging, that you usually don't want turned on forever.

rajkej

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 01:23:26 PM »
Setting the timeout to 1000 did not work. I just did an update to my workspace by doing a remove all, add tree and only 110 files showed up. Did that again and then only 48 files showed up. So something else is happening. Is there any debug tracing that I could add or enable?

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 01:14:31 PM »
There isn't any logging that would get more information here.

I was going to recommend running dtruss on the SlickEdit process when it was doing failed scans to see if that would give any clues, but I found with newer versions of MacOS, that you can't do that without turning off SIP.  Which is involved enough where I'm not going to recommend that. 

I'm going to take a look at the scanning code again, and see if I can add some logging that would help here.  And I can send you a debug executable once that's in place.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 04:46:35 PM »
Here's something else to try.  If it happens again, see if you can do a recursive find in files for a search term that's going to match nearly every file and see if you get roughly the right amount of files in the results.   The motivation is that if it reproduces with find in files, it's much easier to debug, and if it does not reproduce, it also narrows down what we would need to log in the worst case. 

I attached a screenshot of how you can set up the Find in Files.  Replace "Look in" with the path to your workspace directory.  Don't use the "<Workspace>" entry there.    And adjust the "File Types" filter if you need something in addition to c++ source files. And definitely be sure to check the "List filenames only" box, we really don't want to see every match location for the letter 'e'.   When the problem crops up again, try to do this find, and let us know if it fails to find all your files. 

rajkej

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 05:01:17 PM »
Thanks for your help. Here's some data.

Output from SE was very limited the first few times I tried, then it suddenly started doing better.

Find all "copyright", Subfolders, List filenames only, "/System/Volumes/Data/net/eaglewind/workspace/xxx", "*.c;*.cpp;*.h;*.atif;*.py;*.tmpl", Exclude: ".svn/;build/"
Matching files: 3     Total files searched: 4

A subsequent test
Matching files: 3297     Total files searched: 3311

Using the file system find command I found a total of 4,143 files that should have matched the filters. I think this should have made 'total files searched' 4,143.

rajkej

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 02:04:37 AM »
Follow up: I used a terminal window to 'ls -R' the directory tree in question then did the find and the project add files and all files were found.

Also, I was having the issues with catalina 10.15.4 when I filed this. Before the test I posted above, I had upgraded to 10.15.5 and see the same errors. e.g. the errors were on 10.15.4 and 10.15.5. I think the errors started after I upgraded to the latest SE 24.0.2 on catalina but with all this covid stuff going on, other changes may have been put into play. I've been working from home more which is when I first saw the issues. e.g. NFS over VPN/WAN. I originally attributed the issues to that configuration. At this point, these latest tests were on the local LAN back at the office.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
Very strange. I have a version of sgrep (the separate executable that implements the background search) that has added debug logging.  I've tested it on Linux, I just need to build and check it out on MacOSX this morning.  Once that's done, I'll send you a PM with download instructions and what parameters to run it with. 

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:35 PM »
PM sent.