Author Topic: A few suggestions on version control of SlickEdit  (Read 7446 times)

eruisi

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
A few suggestions on version control of SlickEdit
« on: July 24, 2006, 07:45:04 PM »
1. SlickEdit should be able to store password so that users doesn't need to login before performing version operations (commit, check out, etc). When these operations are slow, SlickEdit doesn't respond user inputs, looks like hanging.

2. Display version number right after the file name in the Project View to make the current status clear to users.

3. Add version cotrolling protocols over ssh. They are more secure.

A lot of nice features of version control could be found in eclipse, may be helpful to improve it on SlickEdit.

Best Regards!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 07:53:58 PM by eruisi »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: A few suggestions on version control of SlickEdit
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 02:17:45 PM »
1. SlickEdit should be able to store password so that users doesn't need to login before performing version operations (commit, check out, etc). When these operations are slow, SlickEdit doesn't respond user inputs, looks like hanging.
We have avoided storing passwords because they would need to be encrypted somehow.  As for the lack of feedback on these operations, we are looking at reworking some of these features in the future.  Are you using it remotely?

2. Display version number right after the file name in the Project View to make the current status clear to users.
This is an interesting idea, but frankly I'm not that in touch with version numbers.  I wouldn't know if that meant a version was up-to-date or out-of-date.  There is an option in the CVS Options dialog to show you the file's status in the project toolbar.  It is off by default because it has problems sometimes, and it is nearly impossible to debug by email.

3. Add version cotrolling protocols over ssh. They are more secure.
Yes, this fits into the "things we want to rework" above.

eruisi

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: A few suggestions on version control of SlickEdit
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 05:28:35 PM »
1. Yes, I synchronized my files with a remote CVS server. When I tried to diff files  with CVS server (pserver protocol), SlickEdit hangs.
2. In stead of version number, it might be better to make out-of-date files red in the project view.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 05:33:31 PM by eruisi »