Author Topic: First bug report!  (Read 1392 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
First bug report!
« on: July 21, 2020, 06:52:42 PM »
So I can't remember the last time I printed from slickedit, but since the release notes mentioned it....

Printing a markdown file comes out all white, unless you are using a dark theme

Am I the last one using a light theme still?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: First bug report!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:37:45 PM »
Which options are you checking? Also, does print preview work for you?

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 10:35:23 PM »
Print preview was also blank.
Doesn't repro now though :-(

I had done a print to pdf - so I still have proof it happened :-)
Ill see if I can repro.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 11:19:28 AM »
So I can't remember the last time I printed from slickedit, but since the release notes mentioned it....

Printing a markdown file comes out all white, unless you are using a dark theme

Am I the last one using a light theme still?

Nope, I'll be using a light theme forever.

https://www.androidauthority.com/dark-mode-1046425/

Black text on white background makes for the best readability, hence best comprehension and retention. Why? Because the color white reflects all wavelengths of the visible spectrum. The iris does not need to widen in order to absorb more light.

When you see light text on a dark screen, the edges of it seem to bleed into the black background.

Since the iris does not widen when looking at a white screen, the pupil remains narrow and you need to make less of an effort to focus on things. When you see contrasting black text on a white background, you can focus on it immediately.

In dark mode, your pupil needs to expand to let in more light. When you see light text on a dark screen, the edges of it seem to bleed into the black background. This is called the halation effect (via Make Tech Easier) and it reduces ease of reading.

Remember, the eye is made up of muscles. The more strain you put on it trying to read something, the more it’ll get worn out. If you are not comfortable reading light text on a dark background, don’t force it.