Author Topic: Multi-Instance SE  (Read 368 times)

b

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
Multi-Instance SE
« on: July 23, 2020, 07:58:16 pm »
First, I'm thrilled that I can now have more than one instance of SE open without having to muck around with configs.   I had resorted to just including other not necessarily related projects in the workspace so that I could cross reference without contention.  I'm looking forward to getting back to more truer project oriented work spaces.

What I would like to see is the ability to launch a second instance from within SE, itself.    This would be particularly useful from the Project Menu.   Although that is a tad bit more difficult, at least a new button from the Organize All Workspaces Dialogue to open a Workspace in a new instance would be nice.

For my workflow, this would allow better cross referencing (looking at other product builds compared to the one I'm working on) and product/project interruption management that happens throughout the day.

I'm looking forward to using this new feature more.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 191
  • Text
Re: Multi-Instance SE
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:13:40 pm »
That's a great idea actually ... when opening a project/workspace slick could prompt:
   Open YouWorkSpace in new window?

I was going to suggest a menu: Window->New Instance, but I like this idea better.

Also of course, the Window menu should know about other instances and let you switch to them.

jcelle

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 07:13:43 am »
Hello, please forgive me if my question is naive.
Having multiple instances of SE is certainly great but, how do you run a second instance ?
If I try to launch a second instance the running instance is spotted and focused.
I could not find any setting about 'instance'.
Thanks for any advice.

hs2

• Hero Points: 291
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 09:43:06 am »
vs +new launches a new instance

jcelle

• Hero Points: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 04:43:05 pm »
Wonderful ! Many thanks for your quick help !