Archived Beta Discussions > SlickEdit 2020 v25 Beta Discussion

Multi-Instance SE

(1/1)

b:
First, I'm thrilled that I can now have more than one instance of SE open without having to muck around with configs.   I had resorted to just including other not necessarily related projects in the workspace so that I could cross reference without contention.  I'm looking forward to getting back to more truer project oriented work spaces.

What I would like to see is the ability to launch a second instance from within SE, itself.    This would be particularly useful from the Project Menu.   Although that is a tad bit more difficult, at least a new button from the Organize All Workspaces Dialogue to open a Workspace in a new instance would be nice.

For my workflow, this would allow better cross referencing (looking at other product builds compared to the one I'm working on) and product/project interruption management that happens throughout the day.

I'm looking forward to using this new feature more.

jporkkahtc:
That's a great idea actually ... when opening a project/workspace slick could prompt:
   Open YouWorkSpace in new window?

I was going to suggest a menu: Window->New Instance, but I like this idea better.

Also of course, the Window menu should know about other instances and let you switch to them.

jcelle:
Hello, please forgive me if my question is naive.
Having multiple instances of SE is certainly great but, how do you run a second instance ?
If I try to launch a second instance the running instance is spotted and focused.
I could not find any setting about 'instance'.
Thanks for any advice.

hs2:
vs +new launches a new instance

jcelle:
Wonderful ! Many thanks for your quick help !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version