Author Topic: Preview window keeps jumping to defnition (24.0.2.0)  (Read 3310 times)

vandermyer

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Preview window keeps jumping to defnition (24.0.2.0)
« on: August 14, 2020, 01:01:20 PM »
Whenever I try and scroll the Preview window (e.g. clicking the down arrow on the right-hand scroll bar, or use mouse wheel) I find the Preview jumps to a new definition. For example, if  have the Preview window open and click on a function call, then the appropriate function is displayed in the Preview. If I click the scroll bar down arrow, the Preview window jumps to give a Preview display of the function return type.  If I click anywhere in the Preview window, it jumps to Preview whatever I have clicked on - and this includes an empty window if I click on a blank line.

The only way I have found to scroll the Preview window is to click a local variable (if one exists!). The Preview window then centres on this definition, and now the window can scroll normally.

vandermyer

• Community Member
Re: Preview window keeps jumping to defnition (24.0.2.0)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 01:33:35 PM »
And I have to add now...this seemed to be happening with absolute consistency when I posted, but after making this post this unwanted behaviour seems to have stopped. Will keep and eye on it!

vandermyer

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 04:19:29 PM »
Just started doing this jumping for me again today, exactly as I first described. No idea what is triggering this behaviour change. Everything else seems OK.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 08:50:14 PM »
Within the Preview tool window, are you clicking the scroll bar down arrow of the tree control (list of symbol overloads), or the scroll bar down arrow of the editor control (code)?

What platform are you on?

vandermyer

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 10:28:39 AM »
The scroll bar down arrow in the code view in the Preview window. I have attached a short video that illustrates: I click the function, see it in the preview, then when I click the down arrow to scroll down my preview view jumps. Most times things work as I expect (working now) but then something happens and the behaviour changes.

Running on Windows 10.

vandermyer

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »
Another post from me on this one...it seems everything is OK (click scroll bar to view code in Preview window, can use mouse scroll wheel to navigate up and down in Preview) until I insert anything in the main edit window. Then this behaviour starts. It seems a simple edit is all it takes.

vandermyer

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 08:11:56 AM »
To follow up on this: As I said, the odd behaviour seems to start whenever I make a change to a file. I find clicking save icon or Ctrl+S to save the file and behaviour reverts to what I expect (i.e. navigating in the Preview window does not jump to definition in Preview).

I note that there has been little response to this - does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

jbezem

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Re: Preview window keeps jumping to defnition (24.0.2.0) and 25.0.0!!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »
Unfortunately, I have the same problem, and I don't even have to click on anything in the preview window:
- in an edit window I click on an element
- when the preview window shows the location of the definition, I move the mouse into the preview window (I don't click!) and roll the mouse wheel down (towards my hand), and the definition location is shown in the edit window, opning the file if necessary.
- If I roll again, the definition that happens to be in focus in the preview window is then shown in the edit window.
- If the preview window doesn't show anything, SE opens a new file 'Untitled<nnnn>'.
I observed this with SE 24.0.2 Hotfix 21, I just downloaded 25.0.0, situation unchanged.
I use Win10, and a Logitech Mouse MX Master, my language is C/C++, and my emulation is set to "SlickEdit (text mode edition)".

Different, and maybe unrelated:
If I use a split edit window, make it show two different files, and hover the mouse over the inactive window and use the scroll wheel, both windows are suddently showing the file from the inactive window.

Not just weird, but very tedious!

I'll see if I can find an update for the logitech app that I think I am using, or maybe deinstall it. I also tried several W10 mouse settings, but no luck.

Johan

Edit: I updated "Logitech Options", no change; I unistalled "Logitech Options", no change.
If you need more info, please let me know.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:57:32 PM by jbezem »

vandermyer

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 11:57:27 AM »
I'm now using v25.0.1.0 64-bit and the problem still occurs. but I have noticed a new detail to his problem:

If I am viewing a modified file and the data being previewed exists within the modified file being viewed, then the problem occurs.
If I initiate the Preview through the Defs view, or from a different (unmodified?) code file view, then there is no problem.

Dennis

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 05:32:02 PM »
Could you post your user.cfg.xml?  I'll try again to reproduce this on Windows.

vandermyer

• Community Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
Attached!

I am running on Windows 10.

Dennis

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 06:02:21 PM »
@vandermyer:  OK, I finally, have a reproducable case.  I'll keep you posted if a hot fix is possible.

@jbezem:  When you double-click in the Preview window, it will open the location you double-clicked on in the editor.  At which point, control is shifted to the editor, so if the cursor is now sitting on a symbol, the preview window will update to preview the symbol under the cursor.  So, I think the behavior you are seeing should be expected, however, I'm not sure how your scroll wheel actions are triggering a double-click response.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:30:12 PM by Dennis »

Dennis

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 09:31:25 PM »
Please try the attached experimental hot fix.  If it works, let me know and it will be added to the next cumulative hot fix for 25.0.1. 

vandermyer

• Community Member
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 10:05:13 AM »
Thanks for that! Given it a go and it looks good.

vandermyer

• Community Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 10:53:44 AM »
May have spoke a bit too soon. It looked like the Preview window issue was resolved, but I have now started receiving other odd errors when not using the preview window. See attached files for images. Looks like these are related to the experimental hotfix .