Author Topic: [SOLVED in 25.0.0.9]File not found when adding to version control after creation  (Read 8417 times)

patrickkox

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
  • Debian GNU/Linux user
Re: File not found when adding to version control after creation.
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 09:00:35 PM »
The error goes away when I unselect the "Prompt when adding file to project" option, so I guess that's what's causing the error message.

Also, when I remove the option and manually add the file (right-click and select: Version Control (Git) -> Add main.cpp)

there is a Slick-C / Stack error:

This property of method is not allowed on this object
file=svc.ex offset=9287

Stack trace written to file: /tmp/vsstack.patrick This property or method is not allowed on this object svc.ex 9287 svc_add()   p_window_id: 445   p_object: OI_TREE_VIEW   p_name: _proj_tooltab_tree 

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 09:06:41 PM »
Thank you.  That should be hotfixable.

patrickkox

• Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2020, 06:27:33 PM »
Thank you.  That should be hotfixable.

I hope so, unfortunately it's not fixed in 25.0.0.7

patrickkox

• Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2020, 08:31:52 AM »
[size=0px]unfortunately it's not fixed in 25.0.0.8 either[/size]

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2020, 08:23:07 PM »
25.0.0.8 addressed an issue that couldn't be hotfixed, this should be able to.  I was going to look into it now but I'm having trouble with my Linux machine, I've contacted IT about it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:49:43 PM by Dan »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2020, 04:39:47 AM »
I have reproduced the problem... sort of.  The files are definitely being written.  I'm actually not getting the prompt and it it's adding them.

Could you send me your config?

patrickkox

• Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2020, 09:16:02 AM »
I have reproduced the problem... sort of.  The files are definitely being written.  I'm actually not getting the prompt and it it's adding them.

Could you send me your config?

I think I've found the real culprit, I thought that enabling Options -> Tools -> Version Control -> Version Control Setup ->   "Prompt when files are added to project" caused this (since it goes away when I unselect this option)

BUT when you go to Options -> Tools -> Version Control -> Version Control Provider -> Git -> there is an option "Show status on file icons" , I don't know what this does since I don't see any difference in the file tree with this option on or off, but setting it ON causes these problems. When you set this to OFF (the default setting) the error is gone. Also with this deactivated there is no dialog window asking to add the file to version control any more, so I assume the files are now automatically added to Git?

If you still require the configuration it should be available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmimhlrh9sem7je/SlickEditOptions25.zip?dl=0

Oh, and not really related, but I notice this when exporting a configuration and such. Is it possible to make the "Hide hidden files" option stick? At the moment when you Export a configuration it shows all files and folders including the hidden ones, you can disable this by right-clicking and deselecting the show hidden files and folders option. But the next time you want to export configurations (or any other file operation) it shows them again. This is not a big problem just a minor inconvenience.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2020, 02:44:12 PM »
 It should still work.  What I'm getting, it's saving the file - even with your config.

What I'm getting - even with your config - is that even though I turned on prompting, it's not prompting.  It's just adding the files to the project.  So there are two thing I don't understand.  The bigger one is why it isn't saving the files for you.

patrickkox

• Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2020, 04:36:11 PM »
This is weir!

When I checked this morning changing that setting in Options -> Tools -> Version Control -> Version Control Provider -> Git, solved the issue. But I've checked again, and not I'm getting the question to add the file to Version Control every time I add a new file (regardless of that one setting) and I'm also getting the "File not found error" again in both cases.

I've tried this on 3 different machines (all run Debian Bullseye) and all have this problem (with different configurations).
All my configurations have this issue.

With a "clean" configuration there is a file created in the project directory

but

when I set the options to automatically add the new file to Version Control (to ask me to add it), there is no file saved.

This is the default confif with all tickboxes under Options -> Tools -> Version Control Setup ticked (Auto check_out on edit, Auto detect Git and Subversion files, Prompt when files are removed from project, set files to read only on check in, prompt when files are added to project, prompt for files)

patrickkox

• Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2020, 06:09:10 PM »
It should still work.  What I'm getting, it's saving the file - even with your config.

What I'm getting - even with your config - is that even though I turned on prompting, it's not prompting.  It's just adding the files to the project.  So there are two thing I don't understand.  The bigger one is why it isn't saving the files for you.

Are you doing your testing in a Git repository?

I've just did a whole bunch of deleting and installing again, and I've noticed that when I make a new workspace / project in a "normal" directory the error message is not displayed
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:32:52 PM by patrickkox »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2020, 06:53:02 PM »
It is in a git repository.

patrickkox

• Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2020, 06:59:47 PM »
Dan,

I've also uploaded the configuration file for my workstation to Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v74umven7zqvhd/SlickEditOptions25-workstation.zip?dl=0) it has a lot more modifications than the default one. There are also some custom Fonts set, so importing it into SlickEdit will result in several errors.

Now one of these error message that I always get is that the file ~/.gitconfig (global git configuration) is not found even while this file IS present on all my systems at that exact location.

I don't know if that's relevant or not, but since it's a Git error message.

The content of that .gitconfig files is pretty basic:
Code: [Select]
[user]
    name = Patrick Kox
    email = patrick.kox@[mail].be
signingkey = A2B6A77C6966325D
[color]
    ui = auto
[merge]
    conflictstyle = diff3

[gpg]
program = gpg2
[commit]
gpgsign = true

I was thinking that this file caused the problem, but when I rename it to .gitconfig.bak the problem remains

Also, when I disable the 3 options in the Version Control setup that causes the error message I cannot manually "add file to Version Control" or "Commit testfile.cpp"
both these options give Slick-C Stack errors.

When I do "Add testfile.cpp"
Slick-C Error
This property or method is not allowed on this object

file=svc.ex offset=9287

When I do "commit testfile.cpp"
there is the same error message with another offset:
file=svc.ex offset=7495

Also, after a few tries, the error message is not "This property or method is not allowed on this object" but just a Z (screenshots of both error messages here : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dzwbngqb3byiau6/AACWFMWUThBIrX9plaooVJjTa?dl=0)[size=78%] [/size]

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2020, 07:02:48 PM »
What menu did you run the Add from?  That is a bad window ID, so it's probably an easy fix.

patrickkox

• Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2020, 07:15:10 PM »
What menu did you run the Add from?  That is a bad window ID, so it's probably an easy fix.

Right-Click on the "Source Files" folder and select -> Add -> new  file...

And that seems to be part of the problem, I've also checked adding a new file from the drop-down menu File -> New ... and that one did not give the error message.

So this only happens when using the right-click method which I always use.

But... the file created through File -> New... -> test.cpp still gives those Slick-C Stack error messages when I right-click them and select add or commit to version control.

When I go through the Tools menu: Tools -> Version Control (Git) -> Add testfile.cpp (or commit testfile.cpp) those also work without problem

I guess it's safe to say that for some reason most (if not all) actions done by right-clicking in the Projects List at the left of the screen cause errors.

Edit: I added a screenshot to my dropbox, it's called SlickEdit004.png (https://www.dropbox.com/s/737qci3t7qy1dan/SlickEdit004.png?dl=0)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 07:18:55 PM by patrickkox »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2020, 07:18:57 PM »
Reproduced.  This will be in a hotfix, but if you PM me an email address I'll send you the fix (I don't like to post whole source files here).