Author Topic: No files were found to look in with find in files search  (Read 6426 times)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: No files were found to look in with find in files search
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 03:08:20 AM »
I have fixed a bug with the "List current context" option but I'm not sure if that bug could cause the search instance to terminate prematurely. For me, it crashed the primary instance of SlickEdit.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »
I'm currently doing this search in Linux, however I have noticed this issue in Windows before.

I do have excludes of "<Default Excludes>;local-objs/;*.log"

When I remove the excludes and try to find the "connect connect ..." string with "list current context" checked, the # of files found goes up to 454 from 451.

However with those excludes present in the "Files" tab, it finds 454 files.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 01:02:49 PM »
If you copy the search results out to a file for both cases and diff them, it should tell us which files are missing. Seems like the same files are probably missing each time. This might give us a clue as to whats going on.

I'm still trying various test cases on my end and not having any luck.

rowbearto

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 01:07:28 PM »
Not sure that will help as no files are found in my search results for my search term. It is the set of files that is getting searched that is being narrowed down unnecessarily.

If there is a way for "Find in Files" to also list all the files that were searched then I can diff that against the output of the "Files" tab.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 01:24:50 PM »
When Beta 3 launches the search instance of SlickEdit, the -sc option is NOT used (fixed for beta 4). I'm just wonder if the <Default Excludes> or <Binary Excludes> are different for the search instance. This doesn't explain the flackyness of the number of files found.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »
Not sure that will help as no files are found in my search results for my search term. It is the set of files that is getting searched that is being narrowed down unnecessarily.

If there is a way for "Find in Files" to also list all the files that were searched then I can diff that against the output of the "Files" tab.
Hmm...you'd have to change the search string to a SlickEdit regex like "\z". This will match the end of each file so you get each file listed once.

rowbearto

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 01:33:33 PM »
But if my search string is simply "\z" then it may not trigger the problem. perhaps I could do a regex search of (my long search string)|\z, maybe that would still repro the problem and find all the files? Hopefully it also occurs with regex search.

rowbearto

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 01:45:47 PM »
Unfortunately it stopped reproducing again. I'll try with \z when it happens again.

One thing I noticed, when a search string is found I don't see SE printing out the number of files searched.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 02:37:36 PM »
Do you mean it's not printed on the message line or not appended to the end of the search output?

rowbearto

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
I do see it now at the end of the search output. Strange I didn't see it before, maybe I should have waited longer.

rowbearto

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »
Look for fif.tar.gz on support.

I reproduced the issue with a regex search of (ignor|\z). 1.txt finds 451 files. 2.txt finds 454 files. But the diff output is the same except for the final line showing 451 vs 454 files.

So maybe I need something besides \z in my regex, or I did it wrong? The search results don't have all 451 (or 454) files searched in the output.

Also, I think I didn't see the # of files searched before because I actually did "find" instead of "find in files".

rowbearto

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 02:56:00 PM »
Look for fif2.tar.gz on support. I was able to repro it with "\Z" (need capital Z).

With the excludes (10.txt) it searched 451 files. Without the excludes (11.txt) it searched 454 files.

Files tab with the excludes included finds 454 files.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 03:32:39 PM »
One bug I'm seeing with the "List current context" option is that the "Total Files searched" is including files that were excluded. When I turn that option off, then the "Total files search" does not include files that were excluded.

This doesn't help me explain the issues you are having though.

rowbearto

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 03:39:48 PM »
Well I'm fairly sure that I had "list current context" checked in my upload of 10.txt and 11.txt, so in 10.txt even though "list current context" was checked, 3 files got excluded.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 04:17:19 PM »
The Files tab of the Find and Replace tool window is ignoring binary excludes (different than excluded files extensions).