Author Topic: Different types of file name tabs?  (Read 356 times)

JeppeOland

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Different types of file name tabs?
« on: September 18, 2020, 07:43:50 pm »
I noticed this in Beta 3 as well, but do you have more than 1 type of file name tabs?

First of all, I have the "File Tabs" showing, and docked at the top of the edit window.
Now if I take the Edit window and split it (horizontal or vertical doesn't matter) I suddenly have 2 tabs.
The square ones from the File Tabs, and slanted sides tabs on the split windows.
Close the split window again, and now I have 2 sets for all open files.

How do I hide/show the "slanted sides" version of File Tabs?
(I actually like those but don't know how I can get them to turn on)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 327
Re: Different types of file name tabs?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 06:19:08 am »
The square ones you can turn on/off using view menu -> toolwindows -> file tabs.  Except that I just found this doesn't get rid of the file tabs if they're docked.  I had to undock and close

The slanted ones you turn on / off with the zoom-window command  - ctrl-shift-Z shortcut for me. It's zoom-toggle in the window menu.  It is called zoom because it toggles between one big edit pane and whatever split screen arrangement you had.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 459
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 05:52:20 pm »
Pro-tip:  If you always want to have File Tabs, undock the File Tabs toolbar, it is ancient.  Then unbind Ctrl+Shift+Z so that you never accidentally do a zoom-window.  (Tools > Options > Keyboard and Mouse > Key Bindings > zoom-window > Remove).

JeppeOland

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 05:36:53 pm »
I guess if it's ancient, you're keeping it around for people who want to dock them somewhere else?

The description for the Zoom keybinding doesn't mention anything about the tabs.
At least the Editor->Editor Windows mentions the tabs...

The only reason I have the old tabs on is that the slanted ones disappeared at some point, and I had no idea how to get them back.
Seems like the UI could use some improvements in that department...

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 459
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 06:48:46 pm »
I'm adding a note to that documentation.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I am also changing the menu item to read "Window > Zoom Toggle (Document Tabs)" to make it more clear that command has something to do with displaying the Document Tabs.