Author Topic: beta4 locking up across share  (Read 1353 times)

b

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
beta4 locking up across share
« on: September 19, 2020, 02:18:56 AM »
I have two Win10 machines: my laptop and a desktop PC.  However, I've been keeping the PC as my workhorse since it has more resources.   I set up a couple of shares (restricted to my userid) that would allow me to access via my laptop:

\\work-pc\share1
\\work-pc\share2

I had a couple of workspaces that were identical, save one was "local" so I could bypass the share from the PC.  But, from the PC, I could open the "shared" workspace since it was basically a loop back.

(sanitized)

Code: [Select]

SlickEdit Pro 2020 (v25.0.0.4 64-bit)

Serial number: FE35645_BETA
License type: Beta License
License expiration: 2020-09-20 17:00:00
License file: C:\ProgramData\slickedit\25\slickedit.lic

Build Date: September 17, 2020
Emulation: Vim

OS Version: 10.00.0 
Memory: 15% Load, 5067MB/32487MB Physical, 6537MB/37351MB Page File, 4761MB/134217727MB Virtual
Shell Information: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /q
Screen Size: 2560 x 1440

Project Type: Cpp
Language: . (Plain Text)
Encoding: ACP (1252)

Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit Pro 25.0.0 Beta4\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,76878MB free)
Configuration Directory: D:\share1\workspace\foo\25.0.0\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,755372MB free)

<!DOCTYPE Workspace SYSTEM "http://www.slickedit.com/dtd/vse/10.0/vpw.dtd">
<Workspace Version="10.0" VendorName="SlickEdit" TagFileDir="tagfiles/network/">
    <Projects>
        <Project File="//work-pc/share1/workspace/project.vpj"/>
        <Project File="//work-pc/share2/support/project2/project2.vpj"/>
    </Projects>
</Workspace>

<!DOCTYPE Workspace SYSTEM "http://www.slickedit.com/dtd/vse/10.0/vpw.dtd">
<Workspace Version="10.0" VendorName="SlickEdit" TagFileDir="tagfiles/local/">
    <Projects>
        <Project File="/share1/workspace/project.vpj"/>
        <Project File="/share2/support/project2/project2.vpj"/>
    </Projects>
</Workspace>

project.vpj would have several hundred files via wildcard and exclusion.
project2.vpj would have couple dozen files via wildcard and exclusion.

When I was running these from my PC with Beta3, the tagfiles and such worked fine (as did it did work from the laptop).
However, I noticed with the upgrade to Beta4, that SE was locking up upon start up, yet task manager shows SE using 0% CPU. 

Finally, I tried the follow (both on the PC, so that the remote is loop back to its share):

vs -sc foo <local>.vpw

(scans and tags within a few seconds)
The only configuration I made was selecting vim as my emulation.

and

vs -sc bar <remote>.vpw

locks up... Quick start configuration Wizard shows not responding.  I can't even configure my editor preferences.
vs.DMP available

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: beta4 locking up across share
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 02:18:59 PM »
Please upload vs.dmp to support.

What happens if you do this:

* del <remote>.vtg
* vs -sc bar
* Now open your workspace <remote>.vpw (Project>Open Workspace...)

I'm just wonder how repeatable this is and if it has anything to do with the fact that the config directory was just created.

I created my own remote workspace with wildcards. SlickEdit did suspend for a while until the files were listed and then came back and displayed the Quick Start dialog. I was able to use the Quick Start dialog. Sounds like something is going wrong for you.

b

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
Please upload vs.dmp to support.

What happens if you do this:

* del <remote>.vtg
* vs -sc bar
* Now open your workspace <remote>.vpw (Project>Open Workspace...)

I'm just wonder how repeatable this is and if it has anything to do with the fact that the config directory was just created.

I created my own remote workspace with wildcards. SlickEdit did suspend for a while until the files were listed and then came back and displayed the Quick Start dialog. I was able to use the Quick Start dialog. Sounds like something is going wrong for you.

I actually was seeing this with my normal environment and was able to reduce it to what I described.  Regardless, I blew away both the tag files and config directory and as requested, opened with the scratch config directory by itself and then opened my workspace.    As mentioned in the local workspace configuration, this works.  But the minute I open the "remote" workspace configuration, it locks up.    It locks up with zero processor and refuses to die via task manager or other means (I've had to reboot my machine each time to clear out the prior version of SE)

(Side note difference between Friday's test and today's is that today I updated the beta license)

b

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 04:35:44 PM »
Trying to see if I can come up with another reproducible environment.   Dump file contains ITAR data, so I am unable to upload it.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 06:46:00 PM »
If you do a mini-dump, the data segment will be excluded.  A mini-dump breaks down being just a call stack for each thread.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/report-a-problem-minidumps?view=vs-2019

b

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »
Finally got time to do the minidump, but it still contains product/project names and info that is not exportable, so I'll have to see if I can create something using an entirely different/safe source tree.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 07:45:07 PM »
If you have it in Visual Studio (2015+), you could just go to the "Threads" window, expand all the threads to make their call stacks visible, then if you right click, I believe there is an option to copy the contents of the tree.  If not, you could do it in a series of screen grabs.