Author Topic: [Beta 4] Select to start/end in menu windows  (Read 228 times)

jc44

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 18
[Beta 4] Select to start/end in menu windows
« on: September 23, 2020, 09:57:39 am »
[Beta 4, Win10 x64, Brief] In windows such as the buffers window (Alt-b) and open window (Alt-e) which have scrolling lists of files/buffers/etc I expect multi-selection to work in the same way as it does in "ordinary" Windows windows and by and large it does.  So I expect Ctrl-Shift-End to select from the current line to the last entry in the list and I think it did in previous versions.  Currently it just moves the window to the last page without selecting anything. (The same issue applies to Ctrl-Shift-Home)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 457
Re: [Beta 4] Select to start/end in menu windows
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 01:08:47 pm »
I noticed that Ctrl+Shift+Home and Ctrl+Shift+End weren't defined for the the Open tool window.

Do Ctrl+Shift+Home and Ctrl+Shift+End work for you in the Files tool window (Alt+B)?

jc44

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 01:18:55 pm »
Yes it all works as expected in the Files tool window.  It doesn't work in the buffers windows (Brief, Alt-B from edit), the open window (file pane), or (where I noticed it) the Project Properties files tab. I'm going to bet there are others...

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 01:46:35 pm »
These key bindings aren't really standard. They were added for situations where a search text box has focus and a list is below. The Files tool window is a good example. I think we could add these keys to more lists but we'll have to wait on any global changes this late in the beta cycle.

jc44

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 02:01:58 pm »
I'd argue that they have been standard for Windows multi-select list boxes since at least win 3.1 and they work in the buffer list in SE 24 (though oddly not in project files) so actually this is a regression for at least some boxes.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 04:03:09 pm »
Hmm...SlickEdit's tree control made an attempt at binding these extra keys but they weren't useful. I've fixed them for the next build. SlickEdit's list box already has these extra bindings but the tree control is used for more of SlickEdit's lists.

You're right. Windows seems to have these extra bindings. Linux and macOS don't seem to handle these keys but adding them in SlickEdit won't break anything.

jc44

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 04:10:05 pm »
Thanks - I don't use those controls that often but I am always confused when they don't do what I expect.