Author Topic: Feature request: multi-selection.  (Read 6661 times)

donjoe

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Feature request: multi-selection.
« on: July 06, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »
Something that I've thought about quite a while ago and that I've never seen in an editor is a "multi-selection" or "discontinuous selection". It seems a very natural concept that we've been used to forever in file/folder lists - we've always had the possibility of selecting non-consecutive files/file groups and then pasting them all together at the destination (or applying the same operation to them from the context menu). Why not with text? Every now and then I really find myself wanting to do this, to select several disparate pieces of text and paste them as a continuous block:
- before: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8490058@N02/737067456/ (here I've faked the selection by editing the screenshot, of course)
- after: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8490058@N02/737067462/

Do you think it's possible to make SlickEdit the first editor ever(?) that offers this?

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: Feature request: multi-selection.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »
This could be already achieved by:
1. start copy procedure with 'copy-to-clipboard' or 'cut' command
2. continue with 'append-to-clipboard' or 'append-cut' actions
3. paste the collected clips as 1 thing

CUA like keybinding example:
CTRL-INS -> copy-to-clipboard
SHIFT-CTRL-INS -> append-to-clipboard
SHIFT-DEL -> cut
SHIFT-CTRL-DEL -> append-cut

Isn't that cool ?

Edit:
@SlickTeam:
Would be nice if 'list-clipboards' supports multi-selections. If it's already on the todo-list to convert it to a 'Clipboard TB' this would be good chance for this feature.

HS2
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 10:47:13 AM by hs2 »

donjoe

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:38:02 PM »
Isn't that cool ?
Thanx for the suggestion, but... no, it isn't - it's more inconvenient and less natural than what I proposed (though I wasn't explicit about this, I was thinking of using similar Ctrl and Shift hold-down combinations for the textual multi-selection that we normally use for file/folder multi-selection). The only 3-key combination that I've ever got myself to remember is Ctrl-Alt-Del ;D, so Shift-Ctrl-Ins is definitely out of the question.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:41:18 PM by donjoe »

hs2

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 02:01:24 PM »
The 3 key combinations were just EXAMPLES.
And the difference to the already available method to your suggestion is that you want to mark all pieces 1st and copy or cut them to clipboard afterwards in one step. I afraid this is hard to do by keyboard only. At least I didn't see any tool which provides that. The current selection is always cleared on cursor move. That means e.g. after a 'Shift-cursor down' selection you'd need the mouse to add more selections...
The current commands just require the select + copy/cut command for each piece you want.
Sure, you need more key presses to build up your final clipboard contents, but on the other hand it supports to copy or cut each selected snippet separately.

Edit: If the 'Clipboard toolbar' feature is implemented you can just copy all things you want and select the right clips afterwards. This could be also a good solution.

HS2
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 02:16:18 PM by hs2 »

donjoe

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
you want to mark all pieces 1st and copy or cut them to clipboard afterwards in one step. I afraid this is hard to do by keyboard only. [...] The current selection is always cleared on cursor move. That means e.g. after a 'Shift-cursor down' selection you'd need the mouse to add more selections...
Well, I didn't say it had to be available by keyboard only.

OTOH, just like Ctrl-Click means "add what I just clicked on to the multi-selection without changing what had been previously selected", you could have Ctrl-(arrow) mean "move cursor without altering any selections", so you would make one selection by holding down Shift and using the arrows, then hold down Ctrl to move to the beginning of the next selection, then hold down Shift and Ctrl to add the new text to the multi-selection and so on. It's feasible and quite intuitive, given the long history of Shift-Click and Ctrl-Click selections.

Sure, you need more key presses to build up your final clipboard contents, but on the other hand it supports to copy or cut each selected snippet separately.
That's not an advantage, it's just what's available now. It wouldn't go away if what I said were added. Sometimes you want separate pieces copy-pasted separately and sometimes you want them together. It's different tools for different jobs.

hs2

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:51:55 PM »
SHIFT/CTRL-<cursor> is already allocated e.g. by CUA emulation. For me it's not intuitive to move the cursor by cursor keys or - when in a special multi-selection mode - by a different combination. But that's a matter of taste...

However, a multi-selection list-clipboards would be a perfect solution for me to manage the rare cases where I'd need this.

HS2

hs2

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 01:47:25 PM »
Err, OK, what do you mean when you say "list-clipboards"? I'm not all that experienced with Slick yet. Is that something that's already available but could be enhanced? Or maybe some feature of the next version, that you know is in preparation?...
This is an already available command that displays a list of a number (see General options->More->Max clipboards) of recent clipboards, which could be bound to a shortcut or just try it on cmdline.
Currently it doesn't allow multi-selections and it's not a dockable toolbar yet. I think this could be a nice enhancement.
If it would allow multi-selections you could select a number of clips which could be pasted at once in the order they where selected. (There is a nifty Windows clipboard enhancer called 'PasteLister' which supports that.)

HS2

donjoe

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 06:15:31 AM »
Yeah, thanks, I found it immediately after asking, that's why I deleted the question. :)