Author Topic: List-Symbols Auto-List members not working on MAC 25.0.0.8 with Hotfix 2  (Read 1443 times)

rajkej

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 14
I have structure definitions in C and C++ and most of them show nothing when I type the '.' or '->'. They show the list when I use "Cmd ." which is bound to list-symbols but I want that list to show up each time I type '.' or '->' depending on context.

How should I get this to be automatic again? Any help would be appreciated!

My C/C++ AutoComplete is disabled but on that config page my "List-Symbols options" "Auto-list members" is checked. I let SE 25 port my configuration from SE 24 and this worked fine in SE 24.

SlickEdit Pro 2020 (v25.0.0.8)

Serial number:xx
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: /Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/25/slickedit.lic

Build Date: October 2, 2020   (State file: October 19, 2020)
Emulation: CUA

OS Version: 10.15.7
Processor Architecture: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 64 bit (8 cores)

Memory: 90% Load, 14903MB/16384MB Virtual
Shell Information: /Applications/SlickEditPro2020.app/Contents/MacOS/secsh -i
Screen Size: 2560 x 1440

Project Type: Cpp
Language: .c (C/C++)
Encoding: UTF-8, no signature

Installation Directory: /Applications/SlickEditPro2020.app/Contents/
Configuration Directory: /Users/xx/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/25.0.0/
Migrated from: /Users/xx/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/24.0.2/
Spill File: /tmp/$xx.85378

Hotfixes:
/Users/xx/Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/25.0.0/hotfixes/hotfix_se2500_2_cumulative.zip (Revision: 2)

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
Re: List-Symbols Auto-List members not working on MAC 25.0.0.8 with Hotfix 2
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »
The next time "." or "->" fails to bring up auto-list members, do the following:

1) Delete the last character ("." or ">")

2) From the SlickEdit command line do this:

codehelp-trace-key

You will be prompted to type a key, type "." or ">" to trigger auto-list members.

3) A bunch of debug information will be written to the debug window, click on the debug window and hit Ctrl+X to cut it to a clipboard.

4) Paste that information into a text file and attach it here.

5) Also, it would be helpful to see all of your exact C/C++ options, you could set up an options export group
    (Tools > Options... > Export/Import options), and only export our Language > C/C++ > Auto-Complete and
    Context Tagging settings, and attach that small zip file here.

Or if you can reproduce this with one of the sample projects shipped with SlickEdit along with a set of steps (what settings to change), that would also do the trick.

rajkej

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 12:05:13 PM »
Interesting... I type xxx-> and nothing happens. So I do the step 1&2 and when I type the ">" key, it works. I tried it for both "->" and "." type of references and got the same result where when I just type the key itself nothing happens (well, a slight pause followed by the > or . character showing on the screen is all).

What would be different for me just typing the key versus using the codehelp-trace-key?

I looked at the keybinding and "." and ">" are bound to auto-codehelp-key for mode "c". My document is a .c file and the mode is "C/C++".

Here is the output from when it worked with codehelp-trace-key. But I think I need to trace auto-codehelp-key. Also, I find it interesting that the tagged_date value seems to show September as the date but I manually retagged everything after updating to SE 25.

Finally here are the C options as requested. Let me know if I can provide anything further or if it makes sense to wipe my configuration and manually port over changes for a test.

Dennis

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 08:58:08 PM »
Without having your source, I can't pinpoint the problem, but there are a couple thing that could be going on.  Auto-list members will self-defeat under the following circumstances:

1) it takes too long.  There is a threshold you can adjust in Tools > Options > Editing > Context Tagging > Auto-Complete performance tuning > Timeout after ...

2) you have a delay set for auto-list members.  Tools > Options > Editing > Context tagging > maximums > Update after ... (default is 0 / meaning no delay)

3) The current file you are editing is very large and SlickEdit has disabled some features in order to keep performance up.

Try running the command "codehelp-update-context-stats" from the SlickEdit command line, find your file in the table,
     and see if the file size, or average time spent parsing the file is excessive.  A fail can be on account of the file you are
     currently working in, but also it can be on account of a file which has to be opened and parsed to complete a symbol
     analysis operation.  The thresholds for this can be tuned using the following options page: 
     Tools > Options > Editing > Context Tagging > Update Context performance tuning > ...
     The last three options are new in SlickEdit 2020.

rajkej

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 09:25:14 PM »
Thank you for the information, it is helping to track down some things.

I ran the codehelp and got a max time of 294ms for the session I had been running all morning where auto-list was not working for me today.

I checked the settings and I was using 500ms for #1 and 0ms for #2. So I changed # 1 from 500 to 1500. I restarted SE and auto-list is working for me now.

When I type the '.', auto-list visually takes more than 1 second from when I type '.' until it shows something. I measured 2 seconds with a stopwatch a few times.

Then I go to the codehelp-update-context-stats and it shows the data in the attachment. Max time was 23ms.

So with 294ms being the largest maximum measured, I'm not sure why the 500ms to 1,500ms change would have affected it but it definitely made it work for me when it hadn't been working before.

Dennis

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 09:29:08 PM »
My guess is that another file is contributing to the delay.  Were there any other source files in the stats that stood out as particularly large or slow to parse?

rajkej

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 09:34:03 PM »
No, it was actually that file that was listed as the longest delay when I sorted on the maximum time.

I went back in my current session and changed the Tools > Options > Editing > Context Tagging > Auto-Complete performance tuning > Timeout after (ms) when automatic time back from 1500 to 500. Then my auto list stopped working. Attached is the codehelp data from that failed attempt. Changing the setting back to 1500 made auto list work again.