Author Topic: SlickEdit Pro 2020 (v25.0.1.0 64-bit) fails to undo / redo edits on huge files  (Read 174 times)

paulae

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
While editing some *really* large text files I noticed that undo doesn't work once the file gets truly huge.
36 MB - works
77 MB - works (around 860K lines of text)
126 MB - undo no longer works. (around 1.3M lines of text)
I'm using Brief emulation, but I don't believe this matters - using undo from the edit menu also fails. There's no error - it just doesn't work. Cut, paste, other editing functions seem to work.
The files are 8 bit ascii text. The machine has *A LOT* of memory, so I don't believe this is the issue.

BTW, I don't expect everything to work on such huge files (syntax coloring and the like). But it feels like "undo" ought to work, especially since cut and paste seem work?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 457
Configure Large File editing features here:

Tools>Options...>Editing>General > Turn off undo when editing file larger than (KB)

Default is 100 Megabytes. Just make this setting larger.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 457
I should mention that SlickEdit WILL NOT run out of memory due to generated undo. However, SlickEdit could run out of disk space. While you can increase the buffer cache size (used for text and undo text), it's usually better to give your memory to tagging. Unless all buffer data can be stored in memory, a larger buffer cache usually doesn't help performance. The default buffer cache size is 2 megabytes.