Author Topic: Oddities between defs window & edit windows  (Read 1132 times)

jc44

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 22
Oddities between defs window & edit windows
« on: April 14, 2021, 12:08:14 PM »
[VS 25.0.1.0, Win64 10, Brief, C] I normally run with a defs window to the left of my main edit windows. I've noticed a couple of oddities.

The first is that sometimes when I double click on an entry in defs I jump to somewhere else.  This only happens occasionally, but it happens just often enough that I don't think it is finger trouble. Normally when it happens I'm in a large buffer that I've just swapped to, but I've completely failed to generate a reliable test case so this report is mostly so that if you ever see it happening you know it is probably real rather than you imagination.

The second is trivial but reliable.  Double click on an entry in the defs, that takes the edit window to the line with a flashing cursor, single click on another entry, cursor turns into a grey block, click into the edit window you get a flashing cursor at the previously selected function start but the highlit line in defs doesn't change. Move the cursor and the defs highlight moves to the correct spot. I think the defs highlight should move as soon as focus moves back to the edit window.

Ta

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
Re: Oddities between defs window & edit windows
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 02:20:51 PM »
1) Could you be more specific on where "somewhere else" is?  This is important, because if it's close to the line you would expect it to go to, then the problem is that the Defs tool window may have not been fully updated yet.  If it's la-la-land, then that's a whole other problem.  Also, was the file in question modified?

2) That's a good point, and is possible to change.  I'll file a report on that issue.

jc44

• Hero Points: 22
Re: Oddities between defs window & edit windows
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 02:33:16 PM »
1) Could you be more specific on where "somewhere else" is?  This is important, because if it's close to the line you would expect it to go to, then the problem is that the Defs tool window may have not been fully updated yet.  If it's la-la-land, then that's a whole other problem.  Also, was the file in question modified?
I think its always been the start of a function earlier in the file. I don't think the file has normally been modified - I cannot now remember where the highlight in the defs tool ends up. When it next happens to me I'll try to characterize it better. Big files in big projects (Chrome) seem to be provoking and I'm currently not doing that.