Author Topic: Debugging C#  (Read 3845 times)

dpirkle

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Debugging C#
« on: July 13, 2007, 02:37:41 am »
I am using SlickEdit with a Visual Studio 2005 solution.  When I try to run the debugger, I get a message that says "Debugger stopped".  The debug option seems to be configured to run something called vsclrdebug, which, as far as I can tell, does not exist on my machine.  My main motive in using SlickEdit is to avoid Visual Studio, so if I still need to use VS for debugging, that removes a lot of my incentive to use SlickEdit.  Is there is a way to run a C# debugger in SlickEdit?

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Debugging C#
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:27:32 am »
Right now the clr debugging in SlickEdit is for VS2003 projects (.NET 1.1 clr) only.

There are 2 ways that we hook into debuggers in SlickEdit. One style links with a C/C++ (or COM) API, with the other approach shelling out to a console based debugger and piping/translating the console IO. The current C# vsclrdebug uses the COM API.

We've been exploring moving the compilation of the Windows version of SlickEdit over to VS2005/VC++ 8. I had hoped that this would "automagically" transmogrify vsclrdebug to work with .NET 2.0. Unfortunately parts of the COM API we are using for clr debugging are marked deprecated in the VS2005 headers, and wouldn't compile under VC++8 without a small but painful lobotomy.

I'll hack away on this in the next week or so and let you know how this shakes out.

Ivan N. Zlatev

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
Re: Debugging C#
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 01:02:41 pm »
Any chance to get support for debugging with Mono's debugger (mdb)? A simple graphical frontend is being developed by a student for Google Summer of Code and can be found here: http://mono-soc-2007.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/david/mdb-gui/ if it is of some help.

Also it's a bit offtopic but I think loading of Visual Studio .Net solutions in SlickEdit on Linux should not be disabled, because one can use Mono to compile by replacing the build commands (I suppose).