Author Topic: "Find and Replace" - "Results options"  (Read 1978 times)

kniped1

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
"Find and Replace" - "Results options"
« on: May 27, 2021, 06:48:41 PM »
The "Results options" in the "Find and Replace" dialogs do not save when restarting the application. Namely, the checkboxes in the attached picture. I can not find any options to set the defaults.

Are these supposed to save? Is there a way to set these defaults that I am just missing?

stzari

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
Re: "Find and Replace" - "Results options"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 08:39:36 AM »
See Tools -> Options -> Editing -> Search -> Additional Options -> Initialize with default options.
You will need to set this to Off.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 11:44:36 AM »
A partial workaround is to use the F7 F8 keys to step forward and back through your history of searches / search settings.  I'm not sure why this isn't advertised.  You can also right click in the find dialog to see some more options - this isn't advertised either.

kniped1

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 03:53:34 PM »
See Tools -> Options -> Editing -> Search -> Additional Options -> Initialize with default options.
You will need to set this to Off.
I checked, and that setting is already off.

A partial workaround is to use the F7 F8 keys to step forward and back through your history of searches / search settings.  I'm not sure why this isn't advertised.  You can also right click in the find dialog to see some more options - this isn't advertised either.
The F7 F8 is useful, but it would be nice if there was a way to save the settings between application restarts. I didn't know about the context menu. It has an option to "Set Current Options as Default", but unfortunately it still didn't save these options.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 05:14:45 PM »
I havent figured out a way to get these options not to restore after restart. I tried turning on "Initial with default options but that wouldn't cause this issue.

I'm thinking that your "vrestore.slk" file my be corrupt. You can check if this is the problem by exiting SlickEdit, renaming your vrestore.slk to something else like vrestore.slk.bak, and restarting SlickEdit.

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 08:39:49 AM »
I tried with a clean config and couldn't get it to go wrong.  With my normal config I couldn't get it to go right.  I tried renaming vrestore.slk but it still went wrong.  My config folder is here in case it's useful.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1K2NMbymYNoAbISrdsUno2KPmq1rfUzGj?usp=sharing

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 02:54:35 PM »
I tried with a clean config and couldn't get it to go wrong.  With my normal config I couldn't get it to go right.  I tried renaming vrestore.slk but it still went wrong.  My config folder is here in case it's useful.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1K2NMbymYNoAbISrdsUno2KPmq1rfUzGj?usp=sharing

Doesn't fail for me with your config. I'm missing some of your custom macro stuff. I get a bunch of errors about missing images at start up.

The problem could be your .vpwhist file which I do not have. It also has some vrestore-like information. Try renaming your .vpwhist

kniped1

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 07:18:02 PM »
I tried renaming "vrestore.slk". It did seem to resolve the issue with the "results options" not saving, but now it doesn't save the previous "Look In" selection. It resets it to the current workspace directory every time I reopen the "Find-In-Files" dialog. 

I tried renaming the whole configuration directory resulting in the same "Look In" issue.

I tried renaming my .vpwhist file, but that didn't result in any improvements.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:28:42 PM by kniped1 »

kniped1

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 08:38:25 PM »
I was running 25.0.1.0 with hotfix 6 installed. I just noticed there was a new version, so I upgraded to that and my issue seems to have gone away.

Either it was fixed in the new version, or the automatic migration of the config folder fixed it somehow, either way, it works!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 09:14:27 PM »
Great! There were some changes made to some of the dialog restore code. I don't specifically remember the controls you mentioned though. Post again if you have any trouble.

Graeme

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 11:12:14 AM »
It seems to work if I elect to save the configuration when I close slickedit.  If I elect not to save the config, vrestore.slk does still get updated on disk though so I don't know why that makes a difference.  In an (almost) clean config, not saving the config doesn't cause the find dialog to go wrong - but I did get a reproducible slick stack when using prompted search and hitting the "no" button in the little dialog prompt thing.  Might be caused by a weird macro I have running.  Still using 25.0.1 with hotfix 2.  I'll try 25.0.2 sometime.