Author Topic: Making the Build window just another tab  (Read 1836 times)

wellington2018

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Making the Build window just another tab
« on: June 12, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »
I am in the process of migrating from Visual Slick Edit 5.0 to SlickEdit V25.

One of the things that has changed in the past 22 years is the Build/Process window. In the olden days this window behaved like an ordinary buffer window. In the latest version it is a separate docked window that (by default) I can't reach simply by cycling through other files.

Is there a setting to revert to the old behaviour that would (for example) allow me to:
(1) Make the Build window another tab like a text file; and
(2) Cycle through tabs and the Build window using a key binding (I have Ctrl+Tab) to reach the Build window and navigate away from it in the same way as a normal file tab.

(I'm not criticising the current behavior; I'd just prefer to emulate the behavior that I've got used to over the decades before I upgraded.)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Making the Build window just another tab
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 06:10:28 PM »
Use the context menu in the build tool window. Right click and select "Send output to Editor Window"

I can't live without this option and I use this every day ;D

wellington2018

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 10:47:41 AM »
Thank you - that worked very well and will dramatically improve my SlickEdit experience.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 01:17:42 PM »
I am in the process of migrating from Visual Slick Edit 5.0 to SlickEdit V25.

Wow!  Glad to have you up to date again.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 01:37:21 PM »
FYI:

https://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=16731.new;topicseen#new

and

https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,17469.0.html

I made it so that when I right click in the build tab I have a new menu item to "Go to error in build window" (which calls the macro from the first link). This will open the editor tab of the build window at the same line number as error that I right clicked on in the build tab - very useful.

I'm also able to use this instead of "Send Output to Editor Window"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 01:47:11 PM by rowbearto »

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 06:17:43 PM »
Once you have turned on the "Send output to Editor Window" option, how do you turn it off?  Selecting that option from the context menu again does nothing (it stays selected/checked) -- at least for me.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »
Once you close the window that it is sent to (.process), it will not bring it back up again when you do the next build.

LBCEi

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 06:27:19 PM »
That is what I expected but it is not what I'm seeing.  It opens the .process tab when I click the menu item and every time I do a build.  And the blue check is next to the context menu item every time I right click -- no matter how many times I try to turn it off.  I also restarted SE.

LBCEi

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 12:16:29 AM »
Maybe I should start another thread, but I'm still plagued by not being able to get rid of the .process buffer.  The context menu in the build menu is stuck with this option on and I can not turn it off.

Suggestions?  Any way to turn this off with a def_... option on the command line?  I searched the user.cfg.xml for 'build' and 'process' and didn't see anything that looked relevant.

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 06:00:25 AM »
You could try this - close slick and rename vrestore.slk to something else - run slick and see what happens  - or else - close slick and rename vslick.sta to something else - run slick and see what happens.
Another thing to try  - in the context menu select "edit this menu", make a minor change to the menu to force it to be reloaded, see if it helps.

LBCEi

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 01:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Renaming vrestore.slk or vslick.sta didn't help.  Neither did making minor changes to the menu.

However, what did work was the following:
  • Delete the Send Output to Editor Window item from the menu
  • Close the .process buffer editor tab
  • Issue the toggle-process-tab-output command at the command line -- Process already running message resulted in the status bar
  • Issue the toggle-process-tab-output command at the command line again -- no message in status bar
  • Put the Send Output to Editor Window menu item back in.

Note that I don't know if steps 1 and 5 were actually needed.  Also, I haven't tried to turn this on and off with the menu again, but at least I can build again without getting the .process editor tab. 

Perhaps the 'Process already running' message in step 3 is a clue to why it didn't work in the menu?  I don't remember seeing any message, though, when I tried to turn it off with the menu.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 01:49:02 PM by LBCEi »