Author Topic: Size of backup directory  (Read 223 times)

rjpontefract

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Size of backup directory
« on: June 15, 2021, 01:02:50 am »
I was looking at disk space usage today and I noticed that my SlickEdit backups folder was around 24GB.  I looked at the options and "Limit size of backup" is on and "Maximum size to backup" is 20,000 KB.

How did the backup folder get so big and is there a way to prune older entries to get it back to a reasonable size without deleting all of the backups?

This is SE 25.0.2 on Windows.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 141
Re: Size of backup directory
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 02:28:56 pm »
There is a limit for the number of versions, which will eventually have versions fall off.  You could decrease that number (but personally if anything, I raise it, because I depend on Backup History a lot).

• What kind of files are you editing?
  • If you list the vsdelta directory, are there old .vsdelta files hanging around (as opposed to .vsdelta2)
  • Are a lot of them very large, and/or do they change a lot between saves?
  • If you list the vsdelta directory, are there old .vsdelta files hanging around (as opposed to .vsdelta2)
  • Are there a lot of paths in the vsdelta directory that do not exist anymore?

We're using deltas, so if the files are very different between two saves it will create a large delta (and in some cases store the whole file as an optimization).  I just checked mine, and when I took out a couple of test files I have mine is only 4G, and I edit files across a lot of different source trees (so they all have their own backup).

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 192
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:37:54 pm »
I've found that it is usually a couple of large files that cause vsdelta to grow.

Use a tool like du, or graphically, WinDirStat to find out exactly what is growing so large.
I've never had a problem manually deleting files/folders out of vsdelta.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 461
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:18:19 pm »
I've found that it is usually a couple of large files that cause vsdelta to grow.

Use a tool like du, or graphically, WinDirStat to find out exactly what is growing so large.
I've never had a problem manually deleting files/folders out of vsdelta.

Very good idea.

rjpontefract

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 05:43:09 am »
Thanks for the tips.  I had a look around and I had been editing some ~20GiB log files and it seems that SE dutifully backed them up.  I've cleaned up and rebuilt the save log file.  I'm not sure if that was necessary, but SE seems happy.

No .vsdelta files that I could see, they were all .vsdelta2.

I guess I misunderstood the option to limit the size so I've added an exclusion for the temporary directory where I usually edit such files so that SE will hopefully ignore them in the future.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 141
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 12:50:42 pm »
How many versions of SlickEdit have you "upgraded through"?

rjpontefract

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 08:59:17 pm »
This machine is quite new so probably only since from around version 22 or 23.