Author Topic: Improvement for diff  (Read 342 times)

JimmieC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 16
Improvement for diff
« on: June 22, 2021, 07:52:36 pm »
I usually use Beyond Compare for file compares. I've used it for a long time.

Recently, I have been trying SE diff (DiffZilla ?) as I have project in GIT. One thing that is annoying is that when you bring a line over, the whole screen jumps. It makes me lose my place and wonder if something else got changed that shouldn't. It doesn't build confidence. Beyond Compare does not act the same way. At least one end of the screen (bottom I think) stays anchored. I think it would be an improvement to SE diff to keep the screen from jumping so much when copying a line over.

Also, is there a way to hook Beyond Compare into the GIT compare rather than DiffZilla?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 141
Re: Improvement for diff
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 03:26:18 pm »
Do you mean if there are multiple differences visible at a time, and it moves the next one to the center after you copy?

We really can't hook BC into the editor.  It's not typical "not invented here" syndrome,.  DIFFzilla is wired into so many areas of the product, including ones that would be kind of a big project to hook it into, like using History Diff to view consecutive versions, and Find Symbol Differences.

jmccaskill

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 05:22:55 pm »
I quite like diffzilla, in fact I often try to configure other utilities to use it for diffs, but if I have understood the description then this is something I would like to see changed as well.

I attempted to make a screen cap, but utterly failed to convert it to a small enough file, so instead I will provide steps to reproduce what I experience (I will ask JimmieC to verify if this is the same issue).

• Create a file with many lines.  I used the following command on macOS, I suppose there must be a Windows equivalent:
    for i in {0..1000}; do echo "${i}" >>/tmp/slickedit.example; done
  • Open the file in slickedit
  • Jump to some line in the middle of the file (I used 4934).  Just to ensure when the diff later displays, the window must show a scrollbar
  • Delete that line and save the file
  • Open the history of the file
  • Run a diff between the current version of the file and the previous version of the file
  • diffzilla displays the diff at the top of the diff window.  scroll the window so that the diff is elsewhere (I scrolled until it was about 1/3 of the way from the bottom)
  • Click the "Line" button to copy the line over
  • The window immediately jumps back up to where the diff was originally displayed instead of remaining where it had been scrolled to

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 141
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 05:26:14 pm »
I quite like diffzilla, in fact I often try to configure other utilities to use it for diffs, but if I have understood the description then this is something I would like to see changed as well.

I attempted to make a screen cap, but utterly failed to convert it to a small enough file, so instead I will provide steps to reproduce what I experience (I will ask JimmieC to verify if this is the same issue).

• Create a file with many lines.  I used the following command on macOS, I suppose there must be a Windows equivalent:
    for i in {0..1000}; do echo "${i}" >>/tmp/slickedit.example; done
  • Open the file in slickedit
  • Jump to some line in the middle of the file (I used 4934).  Just to ensure when the diff later displays, the window must show a scrollbar
  • Delete that line and save the file
  • Open the history of the file
  • Run a diff between the current version of the file and the previous version of the file
  • diffzilla displays the diff at the top of the diff window.  scroll the window so that the diff is elsewhere (I scrolled until it was about 1/3 of the way from the bottom)
  • Click the "Line" button to copy the line over
  • The window immediately jumps back up to where the diff was originally displayed instead of remaining where it had been scrolled to

OK, it sounds like we need to try not to center the current line if it was visible already.