Author Topic: Beta vs. release recommendations  (Read 153 times)

pbrightly

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Beta vs. release recommendations
« on: July 30, 2021, 04:50:15 pm »
What is the recommended way to play with beta versions, yet still maintain my licensed copy of SlickEdit Pro? (shared license in this case)
I'm on a server license, but it looks like I can test the beta until October 10.  Should I simply install to a separate directory like I did with old versions of Slick?  I'll want to use the beta exclusively for now, barring any bad bugs.
I have a bunch of macros dating as far back as 30+ years. I can keep seperate copies, but I wonder if it's good/bad to attempt sharing the directory between versions of slickedit.
I'd thought I'd seen a post on this topic once, but didn't find it in the search.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 467
Re: Beta vs. release recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 04:35:14 pm »
It should be fine to share the config directory between 25.0.2 and 26 beta. Most of the config data is versioned so it's not being shared. The backup directory (vsdelta) and the AutoSave directory (autosave) are unversioned and are be shared between 25.0.2 and 26. The intent will be to always keep these config files very backward compatible so that no upgrade-like process in a new version could break an older versions access to the files.

In other words, if v26 has a significant problem, it's just going to mess up itself (26.0.0 versioned config directory) and not your older install.