Author Topic: Mysterious file creation  (Read 1097 times)

mpalandr

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Mysterious file creation
« on: September 03, 2021, 09:59:23 pm »
SlickEdit Pro 2016 (v21.0.3.0 64-bit)

I have not used SE on xaml files until recently.  I download a sample Visual Studio solution, "UseLetterBox.sln", which I placed in E:\Dir1\Dir2\Dir3\Dir4 (path shorted for this post).

Not wanting to accidentally change the downloaded files, I copied one file, LetterBox.xaml to the Windows desktop.  If I open that file on the desktop in SE, the following files are created in E:\Dir1\Dir2\Dir3\Dir4: 

UseLetterBox.vpw
UseLetterBox.vpwhist
UseLetterBox.vtg

If I delete those files and reopen the xaml file in SE, they are recreated.  To be clear, the file on the desktop is a copy of the xaml file, not a shortcut to the original file.  I tried placing the copy of the XAML file in a variety of other folder, and this happens no matter which folder contains the copy of the xaml file, e.g., F:\Junk, which is on a different physical drive from the solution file.

I have all switches in the Context Tagging and Auto Tagging configuration pages turned off.

What is the connection between random folders where I copy the xaml file and the original solution folder that causes this?

How can I disable the creation of these files?  Turning off the tagging options does not prevent the creation of the tag file.

Thanks,

Mike

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 466
Re: Mysterious file creation
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 11:43:43 pm »
Those are the Slick-C workspace (vpw) and project file (vpj) and history file (vpwhist).  When we open a solution file, we also have to create a Slick-C workspace and project to go along with it.

mpalandr

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: Mysterious file creation
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 01:36:22 am »
Thanks.

So SE remembers the file name and when a copy is opened from a different folder, it knows to open the original VS solution?