Author Topic: FTP/SFTP doesn't seem to upload on save even though it is selected in options  (Read 958 times)

lahughes

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
I have my source on my company's internal network, but I edit it with SE on my laptop. I'm working remotely. Here's what I did:
1) tar up the repo and scp it to my laptop
2) untar it and save it in a tree very similar to the remote - the differences are /User/myName (Mac laptop), and /home/myName(Linux).
3) created a project and added a tree pointing to the laptop version.
4) opened the SFTP client window and connected to the remote VM and browsed to the remote version and pointed it to the local version.
5) from the right side (remote) of the SFTP window I downloaded a couple of files I needed to edit.
6) Opened the files from the left side (local) of the SFTP window. Edited the files and saved them. At this point I expect the remote to have the edited versions because I selected the option "Upload on save"/"upload without prompting" in the SFTP options.

But when I check the remote version the edits are not there. What in particular am I doing wrong/not as expected? If I upload (right click/Upload from the local side) the files manually after saving, the edits are there.

Thanks,
Laura

SlickEdit Pro 2020 (v25.0.2.0)

Serial number: VMX112550
Licensed number of users: Single user
License file: /Library/Application Support/SlickEdit/25/slickedit.lic

Build Date: May 15, 2021
Emulation: macOS

OS Version: 10.16

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 54
You must open the files from the remote side.
Sounds like you are using the FTP Client tool-window which is used to download remote-to-local and upload local-to-remote.
You probably want to use the FTP tool-window (File>FTP>Activate FTP).
If you want to have a local copy of your remote tree for the purposes of project/tagging, then what you did in steps 1-3 is fine, but you should additionally set up a Remote-to-local directory mapping:
Edit your connection profile, Advanced tab, "Remote to local directory mapping", select Help.
You will want to map the root of your SFTP remote tree to the root of your local project tree.
Example:
Remote: /my/remote/dir/project1
Local: /Users/lahughes/build/project1
Opening a file (from the remote side) will then download/overwrite the file in the mapped local directory, maintaining the same directory structure.
And because you specified the mapping in your connection profile, the local copies will not be automatically deleted when the file is closed.

++rodney

lahughes

• Community Member
Thanks! That's what the issue was.

Is there a way to tell SE that when it opens a file (via the tag file) from the local directory that it should actually open the one from the remote?

Rodney

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 54
Not currently. There is an outstanding feature request to integrate remote (e.g. S/FTP) files into SE projects, which would probably satisfy what you are asking for.

lahughes

• Community Member
You can add my vote to that feature request!
Thanks for the help.