Author Topic: Hidden references  (Read 3545 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 36
Hidden references
« on: July 19, 2007, 10:29:57 PM »
I just updated an existing project from a later version of the code. Since the tags database would be out of date I regenerated tags for all source files.

Next, I'm looking up som #define symbol that isn't actually defined in the project. I go to the references tab and type the symbol in the little box, hit return and get a message saying it wasn't found and do I want to search for any instances anyway. Sure I do, so I say OK and nothing turns up. Not even if I try again.

OK, so now I go to the source file that has an instance, navigate to the correct line and right click the exact same symbol, select go to references, and a dialog pops up to say it wasn't found and do I want to search anyway. I sure do, so say OK, and []this[/i] time SE pops some references into the reference window.

I've had this happen before, but I've always been a bit taken aback and by then, after it's popped up the references, it always works. This time I was ready for the blighter so could make sure I didn't screw up to start with :)

What gives?

[2 mins later...]
Ah, just noticed the 12.0.2 update (been away). I'll see if that has resolved this...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:38:47 PM by dunkers »

Kohei

• Hero Points: 25
Re: Hidden references
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:32:20 AM »
One thing you can check is whether the Defs tool window shows the symbol you are right-clicking on.  If not, then the symbol was not tagged correctly, which, in my first guess, is probably due to preprocessing macro that has confused the parser.

dunkers

• Hero Points: 36
Re: Hidden references
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 01:06:16 AM »
I'll try that next time, thanks (can't now because I've fixed it up). Have to say that I've never used the defs window before, so something new to play with there :)