Author Topic: alias command line without dialog  (Read 887 times)

pbrightly

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
alias command line without dialog
« on: September 21, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »
I'm using the beta right now, but I think this applies to v25 as well.

In past versions of slick, I've always set my aliases via command line. I'd like to continue to do so, without the prompt for an alias file and the subsequent dialog.  Which.. by the way, ignores my full alias command, specifying alias and value. Very annoying. :)

So the doc (I'm looking at the beta now) shows a default file I don't have. Maybe as an upgrade, it's still using alias.slk instead of the stated alias.als.xml?  It says alias files will be searched in the order of those listed in VSLICKALIAS. So in hopes this would avoid the dialog, I set it to:
Code: [Select]
VSLICKALIAS=C:\Users\PaulBrightly\Documents\My SlickEdit Config\\alias.slk
If I execute the command:
Code: [Select]
alias optvault c:\sandbox\gensec\operatorvault\, it asks for an alias file, I pick global, it throws me into the dialog and discards my alias and value.

Same if I pass -g.

Is there a trick to just let me set a simple alias in the default file from the command line?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: alias command line without dialog
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 01:42:55 PM »
VSLICKALIAS isn't supported any more. There is some config upgrade support for VSLICKALIAS if you're upgrading a config from v20 or before.

Now the global aliases are stored in "user.cfg.xml".

Looks like the docs still mention VSLICKALIAS. That needs to be removed.

No command line support like you want yet. More command line support would be a good addition though. 

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 517
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 12:30:38 PM »
Not quite a solution for your original request, but there is a trick for creating an alias from a selection, just select some text and right click and select "Create Alias...", you'll be prompted for the alias name.  This creates a language specific alias.  However, if you just want an alias to use in the Build window, that will work fine.

pbrightly

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 02:30:52 PM »
Still want the command line functionality I lost, but that's actually pretty cool, thanks.