Author Topic: New User: How Do I Do This???  (Read 1267 times)

Marvin_SlickEdit

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
New User: How Do I Do This???
« on: October 12, 2021, 12:55:45 PM »
Sirs:
       I have a number of question about using SlickEdit.
1 - I always open multiple files at the same time.  When I do this there are tabs across the top of a screen that contain the file name.  I can switch between files by clocking on the file name tab I want to go to.  I must have done something wrong, I can open multiple files but I don't get any filename tabs.  In Brief emulation I have to Alt-N to go to the next tile.  How do I get SlickEdit to show me the filename tabs again.
2 - Currently SlickEdit will only search for complete words.  How do I tell SlickEdit to do more of a pattern search so I can see partial matches?
3 - When I find what I'm looking for during a search I have to hit the ESC key to exit search mode.  If it possible for me to just start making changes right away instead of having to hit ESC.

Thanks for the help,
         Marv Scheinbart

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 151
Re: New User: How Do I Do This???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 01:48:34 PM »
1) Go to Tools -> Options -> Editing -> Editor Windows, and change "Files per window" to "One file per window".  When you initially switch to Brief emulation, it changes this setting, but you can change it back.  All the windows you open after that will show up in their own tab.

2 & 3)  There are a lot of ways to start search and configure how it works.  For this, I'm assuming you're hitting F5 to search and you're getting mini search window that's in the upper right of your source window.  Let me know if that's not right. For that mini search window, selecting the little ".*" button will enable regular expression search.  And the mini search window can be configured to close when you hit the enter key on your search expression, if you go to Tools -> Options -> Editing Search, and under the "Mini window options" turn on the "Close on Enter key".   

The other brief search method that doesn't bring up any dialog is Alt-S, which prompts for the search string in the message box, and you can toggle regular expression search with Ctrl-F6 for that method.  You just have to hit return to start the search, no window to cancel out of.