Author Topic: Tagfile location  (Read 158 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 35
Tagfile location
« on: October 21, 2021, 08:19:53 pm »
The compiler-specific tagfiles are located in the Slickedit config directory (~/my documents/my slickedit config/<se version>/tagfiles). Is there a way to move these somewhere else?

My problem is that when installing a new SE version I leave at least the last one around - in case of issues with the new one, the previous one can be used instead. Also, two different versions allow simple multi-workspace use simultaneously (typically one being used for reference, the other for editing).

But that's not all. When uninstalling a previous (unused for some time) version I typically mark the config directory as "25.0.1 - to delete", just in case a subsequent version is referencing something in there (like macros, templates, etc). So as of this writing I have five such config directories.

My tagfiles take up 618MB, so there's a fraction over 3GB that I could usefully lose if I could point each version of SE at the same tagfile directory. That's a not trivial amount of useful space on the system volume, particularly with Windows apparently constantly eating and never having a poo.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 466
Re: Tagfile location
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 10:20:05 pm »
There is no mechanism to use a different config/tagfiles directory.  Another issue here is that release-to-release, there can be changes to the tag file format, so an older version of SlickEdit will not be able to read tagfiles created by a newer version.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 202
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 11:28:26 pm »
Not recommending it in this case, but symbolic links work generally.
Just link
~/my documents/my slickedit config/<se version>/tagfiles
to
~/my documents/my slickedit config/tagfiles

Code: [Select]
mkdir "~/my documents/my slickedit config/SharedTagfiles"
mklink /d "~/my documents/my slickedit config/<se version>/tagfiles " "~/my documents/my slickedit config/SharedTagfiles"

For an old project I used to have several git-clones of the same code and shared a single instance of the Slickedit project files by making a sym-link from C:\Src\Copy<N>\MyProject.vpw to C:\Src\MyProject.vpw

dunkers

• Hero Points: 35
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 11:58:50 pm »
Thanks, both. I suspected differences between versions might be an issue but, nevertheless, the ability to move the directory would be useful for those willing to try.

Thought about symbolic links but periodically I come across one I set up some time ago and it takes me a while to figure out what and why I did it. The fewer of those sorts of problems the better :)