Author Topic: Feedback about new Highlight feature (tool window)  (Read 126 times)

elmar

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Feedback about new Highlight feature (tool window)
« on: October 27, 2021, 09:30:42 am »
Hi SlickEdit dev team,

I checked out the new word highlighting feature, which is really helpful e.g. when analyzing large log files.
However there is still room for improvements:
1.) For adding multiple words, you must press Enter in the edit field to begin the next word. This is not really obvious (although stated in the help text). IMHO an "add" or "+" button right to the edit field would be more intuitive.
2.) Setting individual colors for different words is quite difficult (at least I could not find any simple solution). Finally I found that I have to change the "Extended palette xx" colors, where "Extended palette 00" is for the first word, "Extended palette 05" is for the second word, etc.  This is neither obvious nor very user friendly. I would prefer a button next to each highlight word for changing the color. At least the documentation should be improved.

Greetings from Berlin,

Elmar

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 466
Re: Feedback about new Highlight feature (tool window)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 12:25:35 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  The highlighting feature was largely inspired by the design of the user-contributed symhighlightsGUI macro.

1) You can type multiple words (or strings and regular expressions) in the Add word(s): text box, they will be added individually.  Yes, you do have to hit Enter to commit them to the list.  There are also commands for toggling add/remove of the word under the cursor (highlight-toggle-word).

2) It automatically selects and assigns colors from the extended palette in a round-robin manner.  To make setup fast, we let go of the idea that you should have to pick a specific color yourself.  However, there are commands to cycle through the colors assigned to a particular highlighted word under the cursor (highlight-cycle-next-color and hightlight-cycle-prev-color).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 12:28:16 pm by Dennis »