Author Topic: "cancel" in "Finish background tagging jobs" not working  (Read 331 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 127
"cancel" in "Finish background tagging jobs" not working
« on: November 01, 2021, 01:49:35 pm »
I tried to exit SlickEdit and it is telling me it wants to finish background tagging jobs for 66000 files. I don't want to wait. I tried to hit "Cancel" but it doesn't do anything and won't let me exit. It may take 10-15 minutes to do all this tagging.

I am trying out the wildcard feature for my project. I came back this morning from the weekend and SE was very very slow. So I figured I would exit and restart. But now when I try to exit I get this dialog about background tagging 66000 files and I can't cancel it!

I did put directories into my project with wildcards that are some open source repositories of libraries that we use. Sometimes those files are there, but sometimes they aren't.

Anyway nothing changed over the weekend so I don't know why SE suddenly found these 66000 files.

I am now thinking I want to stop using the wildcard feature in my project and go back to the way I was using before with this SE macro: https://github.com/rbresalier/sync_project_with_scm

rowbearto

Re: "cancel" in "Finish background tagging jobs" not working
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 02:00:16 pm »
I didn't tell my workspace to use a different tagging file directory. I also don't see a .vtg and .vpwhistu file in the same directory as my vpj and vpw. I'm lost.

Still waiting for it to finish tagging :(. I don't want to kill -9 it can corrupt something.

EDIT: I found the .vpwhistu and .vtg files, I forgot I'm using a different directory for my project where the .vpj and .vpw are symlinked from a different location, but the .vpwhistu and .vtg files are regular files in the 'real' project directory.

The wildcardcache there says there are 58385 files, don't know why it wanted to background tag 66000 files. I'm very sure this is the only project I have loaded but since it is still background tagging I can't check.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:08:20 pm by rowbearto »

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 471
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 02:47:58 pm »
If there are zip or jar files in the mix, the tagging can come up with more files than the wild card cache sees.  Also, the number of files for background tagging is a total, so if you had another item tagging, like a compiler tag file, that would be part of the count too.

I'll look into why "Cancel" was not working, but I'll need a reminder of what platform you normally work on.

rowbearto

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 02:56:55 pm »
I'm on Linux x64. I'm using CentOS 7.7

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 471
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 08:10:40 pm »
I was able to reproduce this issue on macOS.  I did have some luck hitting Escape instead of clicking on the Cancel button, but both should have worked.  Hopefully this is something I can hot fix.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 203
  • Text
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 08:37:06 pm »
Seems similar to a support case I opened (on Windows).  CAS-73338-12SV

For me, slick was slow, using CPU when it was not active and then hung on exit.
It did not appear to be actually accessing any files either.

Cancel appeared to be unresponsive, but Slickedit did exit maybe a minute or two after clicking cancel.