Author Topic: Issues in build window after manually sshing to build machine there  (Read 11979 times)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 526
Re: Issues in build window after manually sshing to build machine there
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2022, 10:06:26 PM »
Go back to running the non debug version of SlickEdit. I’ll let you know what I find. Removing the debug requires manually editing user.cfg.xml and deleting the debug profile. Can’t remember the exact profile name.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2022, 07:06:29 PM »
SlickEdit non-debug version seems very slow to me now, blocks often. Was wondering if it could be due to the large user.cfg.xml file with the debug info?

Would be interested in knowing how to remove all the debug info and see if this is the cause of my slowdowns?

rowbearto

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2022, 07:13:14 PM »
I just got rid of the <misc.build_debug> section of user.cfg.xml. It is now 295K instead of close to 1Gig.

Hopefully this blocking will go away...

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2022, 09:56:51 PM »
Here is the first bug. Easy for me to locate because the <after_color_out_char1_not_here> element is generated only if there is a bug.

Code: [Select]
        47: -- ENABLE_...
        48:
]]>
</in_buffer>
<in_insert>
<![CDATA[-- Configuring done
]]>
</in_insert>
<before_color linenum="48" lineofs="0"/>
<before_color_in_pending_text/>
<before_color_in_mark linenum="49" lineofs="0"/>
<after_color_out_line linenum="94" lineofs="0"/>
<after_color_out_char1_not_here linenum="94" lineofs="0"/>
<after_color linenum="48" lineofs="0"/>
<before_scroll_mark linenum="49" lineofs="0"/>
<before_scroll_buffer>

Notice that this file has around 48 lines (probably 49 lines) coming into SlickEdit's xterm coloring function. I say around 48 lines because the <in_insert> text has been inserted already but there's not another buffer output element before the xterm coloring for us to see the exact buffer contents. Then after coloring we see <after_color_out_line linenum="94" lineofs="0"/>. This should be impossible. No way the build buffer has 94 lines. This is somehow related to this bug and why the \1 byte is not being removed.

I had to add a lot more debug into SlickEdit's xterm coloring function to further investigate this. Since this next xterm coloring function is generating a lot more debug, I've had to remove some other debug because this stuff is getting crazy large as you've noticed.

Here's installer #4:

http://support.slickedit.com/outbound/2601/se_26000100_linux64_build4_dbg.tar.gz

I'm hoping that even if I can't quite understand what is going wrong this time, maybe I can do a mini playback and be able to trace the problem (assuming the problem isn't random). If I had to guess, it seems like the buffer being processed by the xterm color function is getting changed to  another buffer. If this is happening, I've got a lot more debug checking for this happening to narrow down where it's happening.

rowbearto

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2022, 01:07:04 AM »
I will try it.

Maybe you would be able to reproduce this if you made a colored prompt like mine, you can extract it from my logfile, and make it a prompt using a bash shell in SE - set PS1 to it.

Then stay in this bash shell and do whatever builds you do (such as SlickEdit) in there, then you would repro it? Keep that as your shell with colored prompt, maybe you'll hit this issue like I do.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 02:35:17 AM »
My builds are pretty simple. I don’t think a colored prompt would be enough. I do run sgrep in the build window all the time. It outputs a lot of color but I never have any problems.

rowbearto

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2022, 02:39:08 AM »
Is there an easy way for you to generate the debug into a different file than user.cfg.xml?

Having the large user.cfg.xml slows down using SlickEdit significantly.

After I removed the debug I got a significant speedup in SlickEdit.

I don't know exactly when this issue may hit. I may need to use the debug SlickEdit for a while before it hits, and it will get slower and slower as user.cfg.xml gets bigger, and this will make it harder to use.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2022, 03:35:23 AM »
I’ll put something together. It will have to write the xml debug file on exit for performance and simplicity. The config system is a fancier cache.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2022, 02:52:32 PM »
Here's installer #5:

http://support.slickedit.com/outbound/2601/se_26000100_linux64_build5_dbg.tar.gz

Start up should be fast. Exit could be slow when writing a huge XML file.

rowbearto

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2022, 03:10:27 PM »
Thanks. Which xml file will have the debug information?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2022, 04:05:01 PM »
build-debug.xml. Sorry, forgot to tell you.

rowbearto

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2022, 02:25:29 PM »
I captured the issue with debug installer #5.

Look for buildlog5.tar.xz on support.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »
Thanks. I'm seeing the same problem but I've had to put in more debug closer to where the line number is somehow going weird. This installer will display a "say" debug message which pops up a window and tells you to send in your debug file when this bug occurs. You may not be seeing a bad prompt yet but that really doesn't matter. That's just an additional bad side effect.

Here's installer #6:

http://support.slickedit.com/outbound/2601/se_26000100_linux64_build6_dbg.tar.gz

Sorry this is taking so long. The code doesn't look very complicated but I can't explain/understand why the line number just suddenly goes wonky. The previous debug was around code that was more complicated that I thought would be more likely to be the cause of the line number going wonky. This time, I've put debug in earlier around pretty much every simple statement. The debug info indicates that the file is not getting switched out which could have explained the sudden wonky line number.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:36:12 PM by Clark »

rowbearto

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2022, 09:53:45 PM »
Not sure if I caught it or not, but look for buildlog.tar.xz on support.

The debug version went haywire, there was a stack which you can see in the stack.log.

I figured I'd capture the debug output, but not sure any real problem in there.

I have noticed occasionally that the debug version runs out of memory and I have to restart it. That may have happened here, I'm not sure.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2022, 10:07:18 PM »
The bug I'm looking for didn't happen here.  Search for "after_color_out_char1_not_here" in build-debug.xml. That's what I'm looking for. This latest installer is supposed to display a "say" debug window when that element is output. You may just be having problems due to running out of memory. You may need to restart to avoid running out of memory.

I did make a fix in this last build. However, the fix I made had to do with how backspace is handled and in the last debug file, there weren't any backspace characters.