Author Topic: SE Pro 2021 - Version Control (git, History for file.c) hangs  (Read 212 times)

nirnir1

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SE Pro 2021 - Version Control (git, History for file.c) hangs
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:54:08 pm »
Hi,

Just upgraded to SE Pro 2021 Linux 64. It works great and smoothly took all my previous SE 2019 configuration.
Only thing that bothers me is Version control (git) is not working.
When clicking the "History for" some file, the whole thing just hang, and only "KILL -9 vs_exe" help to recover this situation. On same linux machine, SE 2019 (which is still installed), perfectly shows git history for files.

Any suggestions?

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 143
Re: SE Pro 2021 - Version Control (git, History for file.c) hangs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 05:10:59 pm »
If you go to Tools>Options and choose Version Control>Git, is "History uses --follow option" on?

nirnir1

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 08:33:58 am »
yes, it it ON. But it doesn't work for both ON and OFF.

note: "get blame info" works good.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:33:06 am by nirnir1 »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 143
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 03:53:56 pm »
Ok, let's leave that shut off for now.  It can make History take a while to come back, so we don't need that confusion.

Do the other features work, Diff, History Diff, Compare Directory/Project/Workspace with Git, etc?

Before you run History from the SlickEdit, are there any git processes running (I would expect not)?  If you run History from SlickEdit and it hangs, is there a git still process running? I do not expect there to be, but if there is, does killing it bring SlickEdit back?

Finally, can you please try this for me:
  • Open a console window
  • Change to a directory with a file whose history will hang in SlickEdit
  • Run the following:
Code: [Select]
git --no-pager log --date=iso --date-order --name-only --follow  "--pretty=format:%H%x00%P%x00%ct%x00%ae%x00%an%x00%s%x00%B%x01" justFilename>/tmp/out

Of course you have to replace "justFilename" with the file to get history for.  We already changed the console to that directory already, so don't give the path, just the filename.  Please send me the /tmp/out file.  If there is an error message in the console, can you please copy/paste that here?

nirnir1

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 07:58:18 am »
    Diff is working.
    History diff is not working. Also "Browse Repository" is not working.

On my SE2019 all is working, but fatal log is shown in "output":
    fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /)
    Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

But again, all the git history is shown perfectly on 2019. This fatal message is not shown when running same features on SE2021.

No other git commands are running in the background when the issue happens, and the "git --no-pager log..." command just gave the history for the file, with no errors.