Author Topic: Multi Screen Layout Bug  (Read 247 times)

RaffoPazzo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Multi Screen Layout Bug
« on: November 16, 2021, 10:36:12 am »
Apologies for the long post but I have several attempts so summarize.
I have been trying to install the latest version on my XPS 13 running Ubuntu and have been having few troubles. The first attempt (via sudo in /opt) appeared to succeed; I then started using it and wanted to change some formatting options. So I opened the Options window then tried to Edit the current formatting style and the app half-froze while trying to open the style editing window. If I remember correctly I was able to move the Options window (probably because ubuntu was managing it) but I was not able to click anything so I had to kill the app. I tried few times same issue, so I removed the installation from /opt and tried installing again as a regular user in my home folder. Since then the installation hangs after printing Running license manager to verify licensing...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:04:18 pm by RaffoPazzo »

jc44

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 22
Re: SlickEdit 2021 v26 Installation Hangs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 11:34:52 am »
This is not a new problem - I don't know why it happens but it has done so for many versions for me (though I admit I thought it had been fixed now).  If you kill the install, you should find that the bulk of the install has worked, copy your license file into the bin directory under the install root and run SE.  That used to work for me.

RaffoPazzo

• Community Member
Re: Multi Screen Layout Bug
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 12:24:33 pm »
Thanks jc you were right. The installation now worked and I have figured out that the initial issue regarding the Options window to hang is a bug caused by my weird multi screen layout (hence why I renamed the subject of this thread). My screen layout is made of 3 screens arranged in a 2x2 grid with the top-left screen switched off (because XPS 13 can only drive 3 screens). The main screen is the bottom-left display so probably the fact that its Y coordinate is at an offset confuses SlickEdit. When using a more traditional 2-screen layout everything works fine. I attach a screenshot of my Options window drawn with the buttons in weird locations and the screenshot of my Gnome display settings window showing the arrangement of the main screen.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 140
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 03:32:29 pm »
Since it's running now, can you send your Help About info so I can see the Ubuntu version and window manager info?    Is it a Wayland session?

And the next time you have your system in the screen configuration you were having problems with, can you run "xrandr" in the terminal, and send the output?  That will give the exact screen dimensions and offsets.  And if you have the problem happen again, I've attached a script that uses xwininfo to dump out some relevant window information.  "bash dump_wininfo", and the output will put in /tmp/xwi_capture.txt.  (It will work in wayland sessions with XWayland).

Rationale for that data collection: We've seen two causes for this that were fixed for the Qt4 version, and we think are OK for Qt5.  But Qt5 version is new to v26 with less time in the field, so I'd be less surprised by a hidden problem there.

The first cause for this flavor of hang was a bug where Qt would think a modal dialog was visible, but X11 had it as unmapped.  It was very sensitive to the window manager, and pretty timing sensitive, plus a little bit of randomness.  And it commonly affected the Licensing dialog, and the GCC Options dialog.  An invisible modal dialog effectively hangs us. 

The bugs more related to multiple screens layouts was where a modal dialog could be put at a crazy offscreen location.  It wasn't as common as a lot of window managers don't let you to put windows in invalid spaces, but it could have a dialog go to a different screen.   With your dump_wininfo output, I can take a look at the dialog's positioning and compare it to the xrandr output to see if it's the positioning case, or see if the dialog is just not mapped.

I'm not so sure about the weird options button placement.  Maybe this is something I need to try with your window manager or window dimensions to get to happen. 

RaffoPazzo

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 03:41:00 pm »
Everything attached. Thanks for looking into this.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 04:06:04 pm »
Thanks, it does look like that formatting window is unmapped and also 1x1 at the top left corner.  So it's a twist on what I've seen before, but it makes more sense that you changing the monitor layout makes it go away.  I'll let you know what we find.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 04:38:09 pm »
Just a quick update to let you know I can reproduce this.  I had to wait on a DisplayPort cable so I could solve the logic puzzle of how to get your layout with the card outputs and monitors I have, and just got that and got set up this morning. 

The licensing and edit beautifier profile definitely come up in weird places, with bad sizes, and will not update, resize or respond.   But only when the main SlickEdit window is on certain screens.

I also see a (probably related) bad menu placement on some of the screens, especially on the one that's labelled "2" in your layout.  I recall back-porting a Qt5 fix that took care of some bugs in the safe area calculation used for some dialogs and the menus that would do similar things, so I've got an area I suspect.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 06:32:20 pm »
One question, is the monitor layout static while SlickEdit is running, or are you moving the laptop in and out of a dock while SlickEdit is running?  Or otherwise having monitors enabled and disabled as you work?

RaffoPazzo

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 07:43:04 pm »
Static. I don't change anything while SlickEdit is running.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 09:00:52 pm »
Odd.  I can only reproduce it when there are monitor changes while SlickEdit is running.  Either a monitor needs to be connected/disconnected while we're running, or have it's relative position changed in the GNOME display settings.   I can also get it to happen without moving/adding/removing monitors by changing the primary display monitor in the  GNOME display settings.  I'll have to try some more scenarios.   

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 08:44:45 pm »
Nevermind, I found a good reproduction case with the license manager window that does not involve any screen or primary display changes.  Thanks for gathering all of that info.