Author Topic: Multiple Instances  (Read 409 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 206
  • Text
Multiple Instances
« on: November 17, 2021, 08:21:42 pm »
I've been finding that when I use multiple instances of slickedit (VS+new), then my primary instance of Slickedit often ends up loosing state.
Yesterday, I closed both instances of Slickedit.
Then I started a new instance.
The new instance had all my buffers loaded, but the workspace was not loaded - took me a few minutes to notice this problem.
Also, my custom macros were no longer loaded.
Today I also noticed that BigFind: SearchResultsWindow was set to "Search<0>" - while I *always* have it set to <Auto Increment>

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 486
Re: Multiple Instances
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 09:18:49 pm »
When using multiple instances you won't necessarily get the auto-restore information you want. You get the auto-restore info of the last exited instance.

If SlickEdit thinks there is another instance running it will not restore the workspace. List the processes to double check that you only have one instance.

If you put your custom macros in a plugin, that should make sure your macros get loaded at start up if they aren't already in the state file. You can trip up SlickEdit if you're not using a plugin.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 206
  • Text
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 06:19:41 pm »
I've just been trying to repro this problem, so far no luck.
I have had this happen a few times.

I don't mind so much that a workspace doesn't get restored.
It is annoying when my macros and other settings get lost.

Some of my macros are modifications to Slickedit macros - so not really possible to put those in a plugin (or is it?).

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 486
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 07:05:05 pm »
You can put those in a plugin. In this case, you are intentional replacing/overriding certain global symbols. Last loaded module overrides the original definition.