Author Topic: How to create Protocol Buffers project?  (Read 1038 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
How to create Protocol Buffers project?
« on: January 11, 2022, 06:28:17 PM »
In the Tools->Options I see handling for Protocol Buffers language.

But when I try to create a new project, Protocol Buffers is not listed in the "Project" tab as a type of project to create.

What is the right way to create a Protocol Buffers project so I can do code browsing of it?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
Re: How to create Protocol Buffers project?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 09:43:04 PM »
What compiler do you plan to use? What debugger do you plan to use? If the compiler/debugger matches one SlickEdit already supports, use that project template. It is possible to create project rules to convert some file to say C++ automatically in a SlickEdit project. It's not documented though. We do this type of thing when building SlickEdit. We auto-generate all kinds of source code and then compile that source code.

rowbearto

• Hero Points: 132
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 12:56:04 AM »
I just want to be able to browse these protobufs, such as push-tag on an element in one .proto file taking me to where that element is defined in a different .proto file.

I was able to get to achieve this browsing capability by creating an (Other) project and adding my .proto files in there.

We already have the build scripts to generate from our proto definition into .cc/.h files, so I don't need SlickEdit to do that for me.

Using (other) project is working fine so far for my purpose for browsing only, but if there is a better way I'd like to know?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 01:41:01 AM by rowbearto »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 530
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 02:32:08 AM »
If you don’t need debugging or SlickEdit build/make support what you did is perfect.