Author Topic: annotation feedback  (Read 4828 times)

asipe

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
annotation feedback
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:10:32 pm »
I've been using annotations since they were released.  I like the feature, and thought I'd throw out some feedback on things that could maybe be done a bit better:

1) I use the command line command new-annotation.  Compared to other commands it seems really slow (2-3 seconds, sometimes longer).  Slow enough that it interrupts the flow and is an annoyance.

2) Once I start an annotation, pressing the cancel button won't save it, but hitting esc will save it.  As a keyboard freak -- esc should not save it.

3) I have multiple workspaces going, these are for distinctly different projects.  When I first open the annotations window I see annotations for all my workspaces, this isn't intuitive and can be a real pain if the files in the projects are named the same.   It would make more sense if I only saw the annotations for the workspace I am currently in.   IMO, this is a breaking feature -- imagine multiple workspaces with lots of annotations, the filtering just won't cope with it well.

4) Doing a save as on a file with annotations does not copy the annotations.  It'd be nice if there was a way from within SE to ask the annotations to be copied to the new file.  I can see cases where you wouldn't want the annotations copied.

5) Doing a save as on a file with annotations has some odd behavior. The annotations appear to be in the file and a close/reopen of the file is required to see that they aren't there.   

6) If I delete an annotation, the filters are all reset :(

Hope this helps.

--andy
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:19:03 pm by asipe »

Nathan

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 3
Re: annotation feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:39:20 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Andy! We'll be rolling out a hot-fix soon to address some of these issues.

Regarding the 2-3 second delay for new-annotations: do you have an extremely large number of files in the current project or workspace?

Thanks again,
Nathan

asipe

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 02:54:03 pm »
The number of files in the current project is ~1.5k.     

However, the annotations seem to be showing annotations from multiple workspaces, some of which are large as well.  Perhaps that is the problem?

--andy

Nathan

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 03:02:53 pm »
That may be the case. The only real work new-annotation does is check if the current file is in the current project and workspace.

You wouldn't happen to be using a workspace on a network file system, would you? That would also slow down the search.

Nathan

asipe

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:19:11 pm »
Nope - its all local.   In my previous post - i should have said workspace where I said project :)

-andy

asipe

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:06:11 pm »
@nathan

I ran the script you sent.  It takes just over a second to run on the project I referenced above.

--andy

Nathan

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 09:24:48 pm »
Here is a hotfix for annotations. Save your .sca files before giving this a try, and remember to restart SlickEdit after loading the hotfix.

We haven't been able to replicate your slowdown issues, so of course there's no fix for that yet.

Please let us know if any issues crop up!

Nathan
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:06:16 pm by Nathan »