Author Topic: During large search/replace get message "Stash files in /path/ddd now?"  (Read 934 times)

rowbearto

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 132
During large search/replace get message "Stash files in /path/ddd now?"

What does this mean? I don't know to choose yes or now?

rowbearto

So I answered 'yes' not knowing what to do and all my work got lost! Seems it restored the old versions from git and removed my working changes?

Why in a multi-file, project search replace was it asking to do a git stash?

Luckily I backed up my files but this could have been a disaster!

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 144
26.0.1?

Can you reproduce it (but choose no)?

If you look at your most recent Git stash, are the changed there?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 05:38:16 pm by Dan »

rowbearto

Yes this was 26.0.1. But I'm using installer#6 from Clark for debugging an issue. See: https://community.slickedit.com/index.php/topic,18611.msg74241.html#msg74241

I did look through the stashes and I found it and was able to restore it so disaster avoided. That stash did have the search/replace changes in it, so disaster avoided!

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
The message box definitely came from the svc_stash command.  But nothing calls it directly, that I can find.  It can be run from the menu (or wherever you can run a command, but by default it's only on the menu).

I don't imagine you have any custom macros that call svc_stash, do you?

rowbearto

I don't have any custom macros that do that.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
I don't imagine you have a key bound to svc_stash?

rowbearto

Just checked in key bindings, no keys bound to svc-stash.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
How large of a search and replace?  Were they source code files?  Was the search and replace in a directory under /path/ddd (where it did the stash)?

Were you going through one change at a time, did you click Replace All, or Preview All?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 08:50:10 pm by Dan »

rowbearto

The search/replace was huge, over 15000 files. No it wasn't really /path/ddd, I just wrote that as a dummy path. I was going through 1 change at a time, did not do Replace All or Preview All.

I since broke that huge project into 2 projects and for unknown reasons the sum of the files in the 2 projects is now 2723+986 = 3709 files. I didn't investigate why the file count dropped so much. Future multi search/replace will only use the 2723 files project.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
I figured it was a dummy name, but is that also where all of the search and replace was going on?

rowbearto

No I did the search/replace over a single Slickedit project, vpj file. I don't remember what the actual /path/ddd was in that dialog, I didn't take a screenshot of it.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
Was the search still running, done, or was it right as it finished?  Has it happened again since?

rowbearto

Hasn't happened since. I don't remember if search was still running but in my original post I used the word "during", so maybe it was. I don't remember anymore.