Author Topic: SlickEdit QT5  (Read 1600 times)

patrickkox

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
  • Debian GNU/Linux user
SlickEdit QT5
« on: May 29, 2022, 07:59:32 AM »
Can someone from SlickEdit please post the download links for the Qt5 version for Linux?
Thanks!

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: SlickEdit QT5
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 11:34:04 PM »

rjpontefract

• Hero Points: 10
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 09:08:08 PM »
Hi
Could you please post a link to the Linux Qt5 version of SE 26.0.3.1?
Also, a Qt5 version of the SE 27.0.0.1 beta would be appreciated.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 09:37:55 PM »

patrickkox

• Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 08:44:10 AM »
The Qt5 version(s) have a problem when using them with the i3 Window Manager (Debian GNU/Linux 11).
When starting a new C/C++ Project after answering the question to create a new directory for the project, the Project type pop-up window is not always shown and SlickEdit becomes unresponsive.

I experienced this the first time I tried to create a new project, but not the second time (after killing the slickedit process and restarting), I tried switching the main window in Floating mode and move it offscreen, sometimes this helps bring the window underneath into view, but not in this case.

This only happens with the Qt5 versions of SlickEdit, the Qt4 releases don't have this problem.

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 02:15:03 PM »
I use i3 when I'm not doing testing.  So far I haven't hit this.

When it happens, can you go to a terminal and run " xwininfo -root -all > /tmp/log.txt" and post the log.txt file?    My suspicion is the window is there, but isn't mapped, so it's a modal dialog that's invisible.  This was a problem that came up a few years ago, and was fixed for the qt 4 versions, it may be there's another permutation on qt 5 that we've missed.

patrickkox

• Debian GNU/Linux user
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 08:55:37 AM »
Here is the logfile

patrick

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 151
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 12:59:45 PM »
Thanks.  It does look like that old problem we had with some window managers on Qt 4.  I have gotten it to occur a couple of times with the i3 window manager, so I can reproduce it, not as often as I'd like.  The original fix for the Qt4 version is still in place and enabled for the Qt5 version, it's just doesn't seem to be effective for it.

If it's like the original problem, it can happen with any of the dialog boxes we create that are "wizards" that have you fill out information in pages.  But in the past it tended to gravitate to one or two of the dialog boxes as timing was a large component component of getting this to happen.  The only workaround I know isn't great: use xdotool to force the window to map once you've gotten stuck.  ie, run this in a terminal:  xdotool search --name "Create GNU*" windowmap

Thanks for the report.  I'm looking in to it.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 12:53:31 AM »