Author Topic: Perforce Integration with Symlinks  (Read 88 times)

kniped1

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Perforce Integration with Symlinks
« on: July 28, 2022, 06:40:39 pm »
I have a project that is based in Perforce. I frequently have to switch between branches, so I created symlinks to my active build branch that Slickedit points to. This works file for Slickedit searching/tagging, but it doesn't work with the Perforce integration since it can't find the Perforce tree information through the symlink.  To better explain the issue, here is an example:

Example
Perforce workspace directory: ~/p4/proj
Slickedit project files located in: ~/p4
Main Perforce branch: proj/sw/main
Dev Perforce branch: proj/sw/dev/my_branch

A symlink named "code" points to the current active branch (say proj/sw/dev/my_branch). The Slickedit project file includes all files under ./code (symlink).

When I attempt to use a Perforce command in Slickedit, get an error saying the file is not found in the Perforce repository (or something along those lines).

If I update the project file to directly include files the branch path "proj/sw/dev/my_branch", the Perforce integration works correctly.

I suspect if Slickedit were to get the realpath of the file and pass that to p4 it would work, but it doesn't seem to be doing that.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 145
Re: Perforce Integration with Symlinks
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 06:46:47 pm »
I will be looking into this.

kniped1

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Re: Perforce Integration with Symlinks
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 07:01:56 pm »
It would be nice if I could configure the project include paths to be relative to the project working directory. That way I could just change the working directory for the project file when I need to switch branches.