Author Topic: Selective display Outline & Document Overview bar  (Read 88 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 206
  • Text
Selective display Outline & Document Overview bar
« on: August 03, 2022, 06:56:41 pm »
Making the selective display lines align with indent levels is nice!

#1:  All of the outline +/- marks appear in the overview bar -- making the overview bar extremely cluttered and not useful for other things (like highlights) since they are hard to pick out amongst the clutter.

#2: show-all clears the outline. Is there a way to restore the outline marks?

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 486
Re: Selective display Outline & Document Overview bar
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 08:51:06 pm »
choose one of the outline settings from the menu View>Outline> ...

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 483
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 09:43:47 pm »
The outline +/- marks should not appear on the document overview.  I think you may be confused with other markup on the document overview bar.  If you move the mouse over any marker on the document overview bar, you'll get a tooltip indicating what line it matches to and, for most marker types, a comment about the marker.  You can right-click on the document overview bar to enable or disable displaying certain markup.

I suspect that what you are seeing is the "Symbol Outline" markup, which puts a mark on the document overview for each top-level symbol (what you would see in the Defs tool window).  That is not related to the selective display +/- outline.  This is a new feature.

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 206
  • Text
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 08:03:59 pm »
OK,  I see now.
It seems to be the "Show Symbol Outline".

The popup on hover does not say what type - this would be a nice feature so I don't have to guess when I want to turn them off.
Some popups have a "title" bar and some only have a few lines of text for context.
#1 Nice to have: Clearly indicate the type.
#2 Nice to have: Show the line number.

Bugs
#1 Toggling "Show Symbol Outline": Sometimes the OverView bar updates, and sometimes not.
Sometimes doing next/prev buffer gets it to update.
Sometimes I have to modify the file to get it to update.

#2 If the overview bar is enabled, but there are no visible marks then the overview bar doesn't appear. Then there is no way to get to the overview bar context menu to change what should be visible.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 483
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 09:11:06 pm »
The overview bar going away when there are no markers is by design.

If you turn too much stuff off, you can go to Tools > Options... > search "overview", the options are under Appearance > Scrolling
Or you can always just toggle a bookmark or breakpoint, something you always have enabled in the overview bar, to make it show up temporarily.

I'll file a feature request for the minimap and overview bar tooltips to always show line numbers (even if you do not have line numbers enabled in the editor).
With respect to the document overview bar, you can click on a marker to jump immediately to it's location, so seeing the line number might not necessary.
You can also Shift+Click to scroll to the location of the marker.

Always showing the type caption tends to be a function of how the individual markup is implemented.  I did not want to make changes to every subsystem.  Often you can determine what the marker is based on the icon in the gutter also.  But, I agree, it would be nice for them all to have good information.

I'll do more testing on toggling the Symbol Outline.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 09:16:53 pm by Dennis »