Author Topic: Feature Request - save / set file executable attribute  (Read 1169 times)

rygaard

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Feature Request - save / set file executable attribute
« on: September 01, 2022, 10:42:02 PM »
On OSs that have POSIX file permissions, I would like a "Set Executable" check box in the File->Save As dialog box.

Whenever I create a new Bash script (or any other kind of Unix script), I have to
  • Save the file
  • Launch a command line
  • cd to the directory containing the file
  • Issue the chmod command
  • Return to SlickEdit

This checkbox would eliminate all of those steps.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Re: Feature Request - save / set file executable attribute
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 03:36:25 PM »
That would be useful.  I am filing a feature request for it.

Another approach would be to have an extension-specific property to set files executable on file creation, this would behave more like umask, but be restricted to specific file types.  I don't know if it would be a blanket executable attribute, or have separate options for owner, group, other.  Or we could have a File > Set Attributes... command which would make it easy to change read/write/executable status of the current file after the fact.

rygaard

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 04:02:54 PM »
The reason I didn't suggest that it be tied to a file extension is because most of the Linux scripts I write don't have a file extension.  Because I'm lazy, I prefer to type

mycoolcommand

instead of

mycoolcommand.sh

Perhaps I misunderstand how SlickEdit uses file extensions, or maybe I misunderstand your suggestion.

I like the way you extended the idea to all attributes, and you extended it to owner, group, and other.  The Set Attributes... idea would be a great addition to the pop-up menu when I right-click on a file in the Projects tab.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 04:16:37 PM by rygaard »

rygaard

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 04:28:18 PM »
The "Set Attributes..." idea would be even more useful if it were also added to the pop-up menu in the "Open" tab.

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 04:33:59 PM »
Good ideas.  I was really thinking of language-specific rather than extension specific.

rygaard

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 06:59:24 PM »
When I right-click in an editor window, I get a popup menu.  If you add "Set Attributes..." to that menu also, I think that would be the ideal solution.  (Of course, adding it to the other popup menus would still add value.)