Author Topic: norton security hit on vstw.exe when saving recorded macro  (Read 276 times)

paladin

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
norton security hit on vstw.exe when saving recorded macro
« on: September 05, 2022, 10:09:39 pm »
A bit of a 'nit' but I haven't seen with the earlier versions of SE -- first time I've seen it on any app installation system.
'Suspicious process attempted to open a file protected by Data Protector'...  vusmacs.ex
I've excluded vstw.exe

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 502
Re: norton security hit on vstw.exe when saving recorded macro
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 10:51:27 pm »
Where are vusrmacs.e and vusrmacs.ex located?

These files are supposed to be under your configuration directory and they are not supposed to be stored in protected directories.

Check if you can read/write vusrmacs.e and vusrmacs.ex

paladin

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 12:54:18 am »
Tried to check on that -- I was on beta1 when i originally reported the issue and updated to beta2 where SE application was not responding.  I tried de-installed/reinstalled but was only able to get the system to respond when i removed 27.0.0 from My SlickEdit Config under 'documents'.
The current beta2 is referencing the 27.0.0 location for the vusrmacs.e and vusrmacs.ex and was able to update/modify without issue. 
I have the original 27.0.0 folder that was failing if you think it would be useful.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 01:29:20 am »
Is norton complaining about SlickEdit accessing vusrmacs.ex in SlickEdit's configuration directory? I just want to make sure the path is a path beneath the configuration directory.

Can you still reproduce this problem?

paladin

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 05:58:41 pm »
Since updating to beta2 i can't get the app to run.  Comes up with the spinner which never goes away -- background states it is processing a .vtg which i have deleted with no effect. I can start with +newi option but when i load any project the system locks up.  I have reinstalled multiple times with no joy....
Any suggestions as how to proceed?  This is windows10 haven't tested Linux beta2 install yet.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member

paladin

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 02:20:40 am »
The alt vslick.sta is not working for me...

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 02:26:43 am »
After replacing the installation vslick.sta, delete your local vslick.sta (the one in your configuration directory). The local/configuration state file is a cache state file which SlickEdit will recreate if necessary after applying your local/configuration changes.

paladin

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 03:15:30 am »
That took care of the startup issue - thx. I did get a norton data protector notice that vstw.exe is attempting to open vusrobjs.ex in my user config folder. Not sure what that is all about but i did notice that there is an unknown account with full control to the My SlickEdit Config folder tree... don't think it has any bearing but i will clean it up and see if it still complains.  May just be something i have to enable a by-pass for...  Remaining account look correct for Documents folder tree...