Author Topic: caught in infinite dialog box loop (around editing FTP files)  (Read 72 times)

jcelle

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 5
caught in infinite dialog box loop (around editing FTP files)
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:43:13 pm »
Hi there, I got caught in an infinite loop (please see screenshots of dialog boxes I get) hours after having edited ftp files; I mean when the problem showed up I might have lost the connection. Not sure it is related though that is the most of the context I can give.
Let me know if you need more information.
I had to kill SlickEdit.
Note : "Split I/O error" message came first, clicking 'retry' loops on this same message. Clicking 'cancel' leads to 'error reading file' message, clicking OK goes back to "Split I/O error"...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:45:05 pm by jcelle »

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 497
Re: caught in infinite dialog box loop (around editing FTP files)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 12:46:02 am »
These are a very serious I/O errors. Either SlickEdit could not read/write your spill file or could not read data from one of your files which may not have been entirely read into memory. If you have a file larger than 8 megabytes, SlickEdit will treat the original file data as a read only spill file and read data blocks as necessary from the file and allow blocks to be reread if necessary from the original file. By default, SlickEdit only keeps 2 megabytes of total file data in memory. After that, data is either spilled into your spill file or read only block data is swapped out to free up memory for other file data.

If you check your help about information AND if any data has been spilled to a spill file, the spill file name will show in the help about information. Generating spill file data typically requires opening lots of files or some large files. You could just edit a single 2 megabyte file and that should cause a spill file to be created under the default settings.

Is there any possibility you ran out of disk space? Did you edit a networked file larger than 8 megabytes and loose connection while SlickEdit still needed more file data from it? By default, SlickEdit does not read the entire file into memory if the file is larger than 8 megabytes.

I should mention that SlickEdit copies FTP files locally into temp files and displays the temp files when you are viewing an FTP file.

jcelle

• Hero Points: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 07:18:12 am »
Thanks for your explanations Clark.
The files opened were small (a few kB) and I have GB available on my local drives.
The error itself is not a big deal, I can lose a few minutes of editing.
The infinite loop is more annoying, I think we should be able to get out of it.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 497
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 08:33:17 am »
SlickEdit probably should handle this more gracefully. There's no great solution for this though. SlickEdit probably would have to exit which is basically what you forced on SlickEdit. Like I said, this is quite the severe error.

Keep an eye on this issue. Anything repeatable could be helpful. Now that pretty much everyone uses SSDs, you don't see blocks that go bad (another potential cause) maybe from a hard drive overheating (remember those days).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 12:50:27 pm by Clark »