Author Topic: selective display plus and minus markers turn up unwanted  (Read 758 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
selective display plus and minus markers turn up unwanted
« on: September 21, 2022, 12:54:14 PM »
In beta2 I am getting the large blue plus and minus markers appearing in the gutter for every new document that I open.  Is that intentional?  I don't particularly want to have to execute a "show all" command every time I open a new document.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
Re: selective display plus and minus markers turn up unwanted
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 04:55:07 PM »
Could you post a screen shot?

"+" and "-" are for outlining.  Right click in the left margin for the context menu to choose Outline options.

When you first open a file with default settings, I would expect to see "-" icons, those indicate blocks that can be collapsed.  "+" icons indicate blocks that can be expanded, but unless you have modified your language options nothing should be automatically collapsed.

Unless, you have gone to Document > [lang] Options... > View > Selective Display, and checked either "Hide documentation comments on open" or "Hide other comments on open".  These options will automatically collapse multi-line comments.

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 09:11:09 PM »
This is a slick c file.

Dennis

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 09:40:06 PM »
Does the same thing happen when you open the file in an editor with a default configuration:

v27_inst_dir\vs -sc C:\Temp\defcon1 path_to_slick_c_file.e

SlickEdit remembers selective display, so if you had collapsed those statements at some point in the past, it would be restored, unless you turn of restore of selective display in the application options.

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 10:03:15 PM »
With a default configuration I get no plus icons, just minus icons  - the same file in a non default config gets lots of plus icons.

In a non default config if I open a file I've definitely never had open before, I get lots of plus icons - see addons.e attached.

Dennis

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 10:08:13 PM »
Try turning OFF:   Tools > Options... > Application Options > Auto-Restore > Auto-restore selective display

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 10:28:54 PM »
It makes no difference - still see plus icons.

um, so then I deleted my migrated config, then I went back to V26 and turned off auto-restore selective display, migrated the config to V27 and find that plus icons still show up in a file I've never opened before  - tagform.e this time.

In my V26 config it has "do not create file outline" but in the migrated config it has "outline" ticked and "statement level" ticked  - I guess that's intentional.  I wonder why does my migrated config behave differently to a clean config.

Dennis

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 02:14:40 PM »
I will do some testing.  In the meantime, could you post or upload your vrestore.slk and user.cfg.xml from your v26 configuration directory?

Graeme

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 08:39:08 PM »
Here are the two files.