Author Topic: 2 wishes for the open files function  (Read 9496 times)

asipe

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
2 wishes for the open files function
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:19:18 pm »
I'm talking about the files view:

1)  The text in the filter between invocations should stay, but it should be highlighted so any text typed immediately replaces it or it can be reused.   The current implementation forces me to highlight that text and then reenter, kind of annoying when trying to quickly open multiple files.   This wasn't this way prior to the latest hot fix.

2)  Files added via the save as function still do not show up in this list.   Refreshing the project/workspace views doesn't seem to matter.  The only way I can get them to show up is to restart SE :(

Thanks -andy

hs2

• Hero Points: 288
Re: 2 wishes for the open files function
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 07:45:12 pm »
1.) You could apply John's hotfix here (see the '// JH') http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1877.msg7937#msg7937

2.) Works for me. But I'm not using the original version...
Did you try to close (using the close-button) the toolbar and open it again ?

However, I'm guess v12.03 will address a number of outstanding issues also concerning the Files TB.

HS2
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 07:47:07 pm by hs2 »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 137
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:00:34 pm »
I'm talking about the files view:

1)  The text in the filter between invocations should stay, but it should be highlighted so any text typed immediately replaces it or it can be reused.   The current implementation forces me to highlight that text and then reenter, kind of annoying when trying to quickly open multiple files.   This wasn't this way prior to the latest hot fix.
Having this selected for quick replacement really only makes sense to me if that tool window gets initial focus, right?

2)  Files added via the save as function still do not show up in this list.   Refreshing the project/workspace views doesn't seem to matter.  The only way I can get them to show up is to restart SE :(

Thanks -andy

How are you performing the save-as?

hs2

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:07:58 pm »
@Dan: It makes sense if the TB is docked (resp. remains open) and the user re-activates it to imm. start overtyping the last filter b/c most of the time he wants to enter a new filter then.
If the TB is auto-closed (not docked and close on select ON) the filter is not restored / made an empty string anyway when the TB is activated.

HS2

asipe

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 08:09:23 pm »
@HS2 -- I'll try that, but I haven't yet.   The link you reference explains it better than I did :)

@Dan

Having this selected for quick replacement really only makes sense to me if that tool window gets initial focus, right?

That edit box has initial focus when I open it.  I'm opening it using the project_load command.   IMO, if the edit box didn't have focus then that view wouldn't be very useful.

My files view is docked to the side but hidden.  When executing the project_load command it opens and as soon as I select a file for viewing it hides again.

How are you performing the save-as?

Normally using the sa command via the command line.   However, based on how my project is configured (auto folder), I would think it would pick up the changes regardless of how they are made (in or out of SE).   Using svn move or something similar in a shell will also cause the file to be out of sync with SE causing the project to have to be reloaded to get the real files again.   This seems odd to me.

--andy
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:21:18 pm by asipe »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 137
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 09:02:29 pm »
I misunderstood the meaning of "invocation" with regard to the filter in this thread.  Clark added a change for this yesterday, and it will be in the next update.

As far as I can tell, both the gui-save-as and save-as should properly update this tool window since 12.0.2.  Which version are you using?

hs2

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 09:26:13 pm »
@asipe: Do you want that SE should auto-detect external changes in all project/workspace directories and update it's project resp. workspace list ?
That would be not so easily and I afraid it would considerably decrease performace even if the OS filesystem layer provides a kind of notification to avoid polling them all the time...
I think it's fine that all changes done with SE are tracked and that should be sufficient.

BTW: Did you notice the 'Refresh' context menu entry by r-clicking the list ? Maybe that helps.

HS2

asipe

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 10:36:16 am »
Do you want that SE should auto-detect external changes in all project/workspace directories and update it's project resp. workspace list ?
That would be not so easily and I afraid it would considerably decrease performace even if the OS filesystem layer provides a kind of notification to avoid polling them all the time...
I think it's fine that all changes done with SE are tracked and that should be sufficient.

BTW: Did you notice the 'Refresh' context menu entry by r-clicking the list ? Maybe that helps.

The refresh does help, but it still feels a bit quirky.

Yeah, that is what I'm asking for, and I have to disagree with your conclusion.  Many editors that have a mode of something similar to Auto Folder accomplish this without a lot of cpu usage.  That said, at a minimum, refreshing the project/workspace brings in the new file to that particular view - why doesn't this bring in the new file to the open file dialog?  If not then every change requires a refreshing of the project and refreshing the files views, this doesn't seem right.   

@Dan,

I'm using 12.02 with the hot fix applied.   I just did several tests and it doesn't work 100% either way.  I can get it to work by is to refresh the files view manually after the sa command.   It then shows up in the files view.  If I then refresh the workspace/project view it shows up there. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:44:13 am by asipe »

hs2

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 10:59:16 am »
I agree - the Project TB refresh should refresh the Files TB and vice versa. That needs to be fixed if it's not working (didn't try).
Maybe you're right concerning the 'auto-folder' and it's not too expensive (on all platforms).
So only the real experts can say sth. useful about it ...

HS2

asipe

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 11:46:20 am »
I'd be happy with refresh working and having all SE operations applied immediately :) 

jbhurst

• Hero Points: 33
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 08:35:54 pm »
I'm currently using SlickEdit and IntelliJ IDEA together for most of my "work" work.

With SlickEdit I use wildcards to define my project source tree. If I create a new file (even in SlickEdit) it doesn't show in the Files tool window until I either restart the editor or close/re-open the workspace. This doesn't bother me over much, since close/re-open is pretty quick. (My projects are not too big though.) It's slightly annoying when renaming files.

IDEA seems pretty good at detecting file system changes. By default IDEA saves files on loss of focus, and reloads them if changed when regaining the focus. It seems to work quite intuitively. SlickEdit has options to work the same way, but I don't tend to use them. As for platform support, IDEA is a Java app but has FileWatcherNT.dll and FileWatcher2k.dll in its bin directory, a giveaway that it uses native platform support for filesystem changes. The NT API has event notification for filesystem changes. I don't believe there is a standard API on UNIX for filesystem change notification. One of the few things I like about the NT API design is its first-class support for events.

Regards

John Hurst