Author Topic: Diff of two buffers, one or both are read only  (Read 843 times)

mwb1100

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
Diff of two buffers, one or both are read only
« on: November 18, 2022, 08:29:36 AM »
I run a diff on 2 buffers and one or both of the panels in the diff end up read only so I can't move changes across.  This wasn't happening earlier today, and I have no idea why it started.  The "Read only" check box is also greyed out, so I can't change it.

I told it not to use "Source Diff" (a dialog says that source diff will make the right side read-only - I don't understand why that would be, but I told it not to do source diff anyway)

Appreciate any help.

SlickEdit Pro 2022 (v27.0.0.6 64-bit Qt5) on Win 11

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
Re: Diff of two buffers, one or both are read only
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 08:43:14 PM »
Source Diff makes the right side read only because it reflows it to match the file on the left.

If the buffer open?  If so, is the buffer read only to start with?  Sorry, but I have to ask.

mwb1100

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 09:12:25 AM »
Source Diff makes the right side read only because it reflows it to match the file on the left.

Thanks - I finally had figured that out.  I've turned that option off.  (as an aside, if I turn Source Diff on from the the "Options..." button in Diffzilla, then click OK on the "re-diff?" dialog, neither of the files gets marked read-only).

If the buffer open?  If so, is the buffer read only to start with?  Sorry, but I have to ask.

No need to be sorry - it's a fair question.  As far as I know, the buffers being diffed were never marked read only to begin with (I just noticed that the changed to read only in the SE editor while the diff is active).  The buffers involved in the diff were always open in SE.

I cannot reproduce the problem where both sides of the diff ended up being read only.  If it happens again I'll ask again - unless I can figure it out on my own.  But as of now you can close/drop this.

Thanks

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 04:15:07 PM »
Please let me know if it happens again. I'll review the code that determines if a file is being diffed to look for "holes".