Author Topic: Slickedit keeps hanging on me...  (Read 838 times)

jporkkahtc

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Slickedit keeps hanging on me...
« on: November 22, 2022, 11:50:14 PM »
Quite frequently, slickedit becomes unresponsive for 30 seconds or more at a time.
Using profiling, it seems that save_window_config is the largest (by far) "F+D Time"
And "_open_temp_window" is the largest "Func Time".

jporkkahtc

• Hero Points: 210
  • Text
Re: Slickedit keeps hanging on me...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 12:23:08 AM »
OK, I think I figured it out.
I somehow had a bookmark on a file on G:\.... (Google drive)

GDrive has lots of problems ... and in this case Slickedit attempts to CreateFile("G:\...") several times. Each time GDrive is taking about 11 seconds, returning SUCCESS. (even though, when i try to manually look at this file from a cmd prompt, it is showing the correct length of the file, but reading it returns nothing).

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 526
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 08:09:51 PM »
About a year ago I did some testing comparing Google Drive, OneDrive, and DropBox. Both Google Drive and OneDrive were unreliable. DropBox was faster and more reliable. For serious work, DropBox is the only solution. If you don't mind using an unreliable file system, then Google Drive and OneDrive are fine. Probably fine for backups. Just don't expect them to be as reliable as a networked file system.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 10:05:38 PM »
@JP:  I might look into this for a future release.  Just for the record, did you have the Google Drive file open in the editor, or was it just bookmarked?

jporkka

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 04:54:00 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving!

Just a bookmark -- which is why it took me a bit to figure out what was going on.
The problem was specific to the workspace, so I tried to figure out how this workspace was different.

Anecdotally, I find GDrive to be the least reliable of the three. (I use GDrive some because its the official way to share files at work).  OneDrive is really Two Drives. OneDrive "Classic" for home, and OneDrive for work is really SharePoint. Maybe overtime they will get merged, but I don't know. Mostly I use OneDrive for backups and sharing files with others. It definitely gets confused if you stress it by moving files around a lot or other intensive things.
Also, OneDrive (Classic at least) has gotten better over time - I've noticed some bugs have been fixed.

GDrive will often fail simple cmd commands, like "copy G:\...\ThisFile.txt G:\..\THatFile.txt", where the same operation will work in Explorer. (Odd, because I thought both would just call the Win32 CopyFile function). Stuff that a typical office worker might do seem OK. Stuff a typical cmd line wielding dev might do are a lot less likely to work well.