Author Topic: Vertical size of documents tabs  (Read 1319 times)

arnaldo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Vertical size of documents tabs
« on: November 25, 2022, 08:01:49 PM »
Is there a way to change the vertical size of the documents tabs? On a 4K monitor (macOS) they are very short, almost just space for the text. On my notebook (much less real state) they are relatively taller and nicer.

thanks in advance!

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Vertical size of documents tabs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 10:02:51 AM »
yes, there is a way.  In tools -> options -> font -> application -> document tabs.  Choose a larger font.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 08:46:31 PM »
Looks like you have to restart SlickEdit after changing the Document Tab font in order for the changes to take effect.

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 11:41:14 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but as I said, "almost only the space for the text". I'm talking about adding vertical space around the text, so making the text bigger is not what I'm looking for.

Take a look at the attached image to see the difference. The "larger" window is from a 14" MacBook (3024x1964) and the "smaller" one is from a 4K display attached to a Mac Studio (3840x2160). For some reason, when Slickedit vertically sizes the tabs based on the display size and it becomes cramped between the toolbar and the source window.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 09:55:00 PM »
On the MacBook, are you using scaling or native resolution?  Check macOS > System Settings > Displays > choice for "Larger Text ... More Space"

Actually, I probably do not need to ask.  I can reproduce this issue if I change my Display setting to the middle setting.  I will look into this.

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 09:12:04 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. It does not matter if I change the resolution: on the 4K display it "scales" proportionately, so the vertical "blank" space remains the same relative to the font size. On the Macbook, it also scales proportionately and it remains with "extra" blank vertical space, no matter the "scaling resolution" that is set.

The interesting point is that on both cases, the end result is not good: on the larger 4K display, the vertical margins are too small making it difficult to read (on a 32" 4K display, even if I increase the font size). On the Macbook, it's easily readable, but there is a tremendous waste of space (vertical margins too big). Adding the excess in both margins could account for an extra displaty line in the source window. On a "small" notebook display, this extra line is a nice bonus.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 517
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 01:43:40 PM »
Just a (late) follow-up.  This problem will be fixed in the next release of SlickEdit.

arnaldo

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 03:07:43 PM »
Great news! I almost forgot about it.  :) :)