Author Topic: Go To Reference in Editor Window please  (Read 1037 times)

namklak

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Go To Reference in Editor Window please
« on: January 03, 2023, 10:41:34 PM »
SlickEdit Pro 2022 (v27.0.1.0 64-bit Qt5)

C Language

Go To Reference
Sometimes when I invoke Go To Reference, it leaves the cursor/context in the Editor Window, and sometimes the context jumps to the References Preview window.  I would like to have the context to always be in the Editor Window and never in the References Preview window.  In fact, I could do without the References Preview window.  And I would then like Find-Next to always be in the Editor Window. 
I can not find a setting for this, please help.
-Namklak

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Re: Go To Reference in Editor Window please
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 01:46:52 PM »
The focus should not land in the References preview window.  If you can give steps to reproduce this issue, I will look into it.  By steps, I mean what emulation you use and a precise enumeration of the sequence of keys and mouse gestures you use when this happens.

In the upper-right hand side of the References tool window, there are three buttons for selecting the layout mode.  I always use the top mode, which disables the References preview.  The other two let you choose whether you want the preview on the right or the bottom of the window.

namklak

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 03:26:59 PM »
this only happens infrequently and therefore is hard to duplicate.  Failure: the cursor will be on a fn or var in an editor window, I select "ctrl /" - the cursor will move to a random place in the file in the Editor Window, but the Next Reference will be in the References Preview window.

I tried your suggestion of "Hide Preview Window", so far so good.

Edit: nope, Hide Preview Window did not fix the problem - when this occurs, the cursor in the Editor window just goes to a random place, and the context is not in the Editor window.  In the References window, the highlighted reference increments as I step <ctrl-g> thru the references.

Thanks,
namklak
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:25:06 PM by namklak »

Dennis

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 02:39:54 PM »
Does the editor really move the cursor to a random place, or is the editor just scrolled to that position?  You can tell if you just hit cursor-right and the editor goes back to the line it's supposed to be on.

There is a bug I have been chasing where the editor scrolls out of place.  I am surprised it has not been reported on the forums yet.  I'm still working on it.

namklak

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 07:58:26 PM »
Well I guess the context is still in the Editor Window, in a random spot in the same file I did the <ctrl />. 

Dennis

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 03:14:42 PM »
I believe I've found the problem with the editor moving the scroll position.  It is not hot-fixable, so it will be a temporary annoyance until the next release or if we release a 27.0.2 update.

namklak

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 06:31:53 PM »
That sounds about right.  Unfortunately I just paid for SE and did not get a maintenance contract, so I guess I bought a broken product.  woe is me and the wasted corp $.

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 29
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 03:06:36 PM »
You bought SlickEdit v27 so you have access to dot releases for that version in your Registered Products at www.slickedit.com

When SlickEdit 27.0.2 is released your SlickEdit download link will update to that release accordingly.

Best,
SlickEdit Support

namklak

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 08:05:15 PM »
Cool, thanks

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 03:04:07 AM »
You can probably buy a maintenance contract at any time.